Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't messed with overclocking my GPU(s) in a good bit. Just found the 10 series not very good in general so always ran my former 1080 ti at stock speeds. That being said, I recently got an EVGA RTX 3080 ti that seems to have a bit of headroom for pushing both the core and the memory over stock.

I'm currently using MSI Afterburner and have done nothing but set the core to +135 and memory to +400 with the main screen sliders. Also set the temp and power limit sliders to max. I haven't touched either the simple voltage slider or defined any custom voltage curves. All volts are at stock. This is my main screen/settings:

Playing games and running benchmarks with these settings see the card staying in the upper 1700mhz and 1800mhz core speeds but every so often it will boosts up to around 2070mhz or so.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to make it hit those 1900mhz/2000mhz core speeds more often? I've already made sure that all my games are set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" but was wondering what else I might do to coax the card into more frequent/consistent upper clock speeds? Is it game dependent? Do some games just not require the juice and therefore the card doesn't offer it up?

Here's a 10x loop of Metro Exodus Enhanced edition with the above settings; video captured at 1440p with EXTREME everything settings, so be sure you've selected full screen and 1440p60hz at Youtube. You can see the core/memory speeds as well as volts/temps/etc. I don't think it ever hits the 2000mhz range but generally always hits that range every now and then in other games but just not that often.

Thanks for any tips.

~s1rrah

·
Iconoclast
31,436 Posts
Don't offset OC, use a manual curve. Temp, power, and voltage constraints will keep you from hitting the card's max potential OC unless you undervolt, which you cannot do with the offset sliders.

MSI AB, GPU-Z, HWiFO, etc can all report what the current performance reason is. At stock it's usually going to be power or temperature limited in most games...this is why you need to undervolt to overclock, unless you have firmware to override the power limit (or a hardware mod) and enough cooling to handle whatever the card draws.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,764 Posts
If you want to quickly adjust the curve without moving every set point, you can do a negative offset on the core frequency first. E.g. -100MHz. It’s not required but it does make it easier IMO.

Hit CTRL+F and APPLY the core offset you’ll see the curve drop in real time. Take it from there. I used this as a guide to start my UV process.

So far, I’ve achieved similar results but I went for an aggressive UV to lower temps and fan speeds (3060 Ti). I also logged all my results with Google Sheets here: [Unofficial] NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti Owner's Club

Stock curve

Undervolt curve (+1000 MHz memory)

·
Registered
10900k / 3090
227 Posts
Your GPU will always bounce off two ceilings, Power Limit, and Temperature. You can check HWinfo to see what it is hitting. If you can under volt to keep temps and power down you may be able to reach consistently higher clocks than before. Since putting the water-block on my Strix 3090 temps aren't an issue, and the only thing stopping boosting is the 480w power limit. Prior to putting the water-block on it, the clock speed with RT on was never as high as in a non RT title. The extra utilization would make it reach temperature limits much faster.
I see that maxed out your power slider is only 104%, which I'm presuming means you didn't get one of the higher-end models (the Strix for EG has a 123% power limit max). So likely with the RT and Tensor cores engaged, you are hitting power limits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a 3080 Ti arriving tomorrow. Would 1900MHz at 0.950v be a good starting point for cooler undervolting, then massage it down if possible around or slightly under that voltage? On my 1080 Ti I just did the pull it down to 2000MHz at 1.05v thing, and was totally hpapy :)

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts