Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With income tax right around the corner I'd like an upgrade that will last a while. So I thought about an SSD... I love when things are snappy and god forbid windows hangs..... I'd sacrifice a chicken to get things to be instant.

So the budget is up to $200. Uses would be general web browsing and gaming. I plan to load maybe 20gb of games onto it and the rest windows, applications and whatnot.

If you had only $200 to spend on an SSD what would YOU get to get the most bang out of your buck?

Edit: Sig there is up to date.

·
Tired
1,743 Posts
My sig rig SSD is a great one. People highly recommended it and for good reason, I have had it for quite a while and no performance drop whatsoever. Though your budget is tight, so I would go with the 64GB revision.....

EDIT: Crap saw that you don't have 6GB/s ports, hmm I don't know what interface this has but maybe it is 3GB/s. People see to like it.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147062

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
Why not find what price you can get a 64GB C300 for. You don't need SATA 6GB/s. It will still perform wonderfully on a SATA 3GB/s port

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I push the budget and get that 128GB Crucial C300, will the performance be much worse than if I had a board with SATA 3 ports?

Also I see on newegg they sell SATA 3 controller cards at a decent price. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The SSD is going to be very fast no matter what port you plug it into. If you want to drool over benchmarks, buy the SATA 3 controller. If you want to save money and be smart about it, then just plug it in the SATA 2. Simple as that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Plasma

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far still leaning towards the Crucial C300 and the SATA 3 controller card. I really want it as snappy as possible =/.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amazon has the Crucial c300 for 259. Pretty sure the deal is sealed. Thanks for the recommends peeps. Rep out to those who helped!

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
You won't regret it. BTW..which SATA 6GB/s card you getting?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Intel should be releasing thier 3g cards next month. If you can wait it might be worth it. While they might not be the fastest of the bunch their price/gig should shake up the SSD market.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking of getting this. Should I get one with 2 ports and throw my regular HD onto it?.... Would SATA 2 to 3 make a difference for a pretty standard old HDD?

·
Registered
339 Posts
nope it wont, only for that c300. seriously, theres really no need for a card... just stick with ur sata 2, and when you upgrade your computer, you'll still have a great hard drive.

i wish i had a c300...

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
I have an Asus U3S6 which has 2x 6GB/s ports. If my SSD is plugged into it and my HDD is plugged into an onboard SATA 3GB/s port, my PC won't boot even tho the SSD is first in the boot priority. I have to have them both plugged into the pci-e card. This may only be an issue with my board but it's useful info for you none-the-less.

• Rep+
Reactions: Plasma

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,791 Posts
It's no biggie (for me at least). I only have 1 SSD and 1 internal HDD, but it could pose a problem if you have more than 1 HDD. It's still worth a shot tho.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paceee;12037421
128gb crucial c300... best you can get right now. do it.
My Crucial C300 128GB got a 7.9 in Windows Scoring. IT's so fast I LOVE IT! Worth the $$

YEP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts