Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With income tax right around the corner I'd like an upgrade that will last a while. So I thought about an SSD... I love when things are snappy and god forbid windows hangs..... I'd sacrifice a chicken to get things to be instant.

So the budget is up to $200. Uses would be general web browsing and gaming. I plan to load maybe 20gb of games onto it and the rest windows, applications and whatnot.

If you had only $200 to spend on an SSD what would YOU get to get the most bang out of your buck?

Edit: Sig there is up to date.

·
Tired
1,743 Posts
My sig rig SSD is a great one. People highly recommended it and for good reason, I have had it for quite a while and no performance drop whatsoever. Though your budget is tight, so I would go with the 64GB revision.....

EDIT: Crap saw that you don't have 6GB/s ports, hmm I don't know what interface this has but maybe it is 3GB/s. People see to like it.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147062

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,793 Posts
Why not find what price you can get a 64GB C300 for. You don't need SATA 6GB/s. It will still perform wonderfully on a SATA 3GB/s port

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I push the budget and get that 128GB Crucial C300, will the performance be much worse than if I had a board with SATA 3 ports?

Also I see on newegg they sell SATA 3 controller cards at a decent price. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The SSD is going to be very fast no matter what port you plug it into. If you want to drool over benchmarks, buy the SATA 3 controller. If you want to save money and be smart about it, then just plug it in the SATA 2. Simple as that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Plasma

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,793 Posts
You won't regret it. BTW..which SATA 6GB/s card you getting?

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,793 Posts
I have an Asus U3S6 which has 2x 6GB/s ports. If my SSD is plugged into it and my HDD is plugged into an onboard SATA 3GB/s port, my PC won't boot even tho the SSD is first in the boot priority. I have to have them both plugged into the pci-e card. This may only be an issue with my board but it's useful info for you none-the-less.

• Rep+
Reactions: Plasma

·
Aussie Overclocker
2,793 Posts
It's no biggie (for me at least). I only have 1 SSD and 1 internal HDD, but it could pose a problem if you have more than 1 HDD. It's still worth a shot tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.