Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I could make a pretty decent set of headphones out of a shooting-range noise suppression headset.

I would need to get a decent set of drivers and was considering these:

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDeta...bCUwDrBUsBRaU=

Any suggestions on drivers (or the build itself) is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
look into geting a pair of koss KSC75's and robbing the drivers from them. their cheap and sound quite good. you can get them on amazon for like 15 shipped.

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFF
View Post

look into geting a pair of koss KSC75's and robbing the drivers from them. their cheap and sound quite good. you can get them on amazon for like 15 shipped.

Really? What type of drivers are they using? That seems way too cheap for anything decent but I'm certainly far from an expert.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
nope the ksc 75's are THE best bang for buck phone ever. they perform at about the $50 range. and have a rather fun rock presentation.

• Rep+
Reactions: tr8rjohnk

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFF
View Post

nope the ksc 75's are THE best bang for buck phone ever. they perform at about the $50 range. and have a rather fun rock presentation.

That's good info, thanks.

What do you think of those Mouser drivers I linked?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
link dosent work says product not available.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hahaha, at first I thought this was about drivers for a pair of USB cans, almost started raging.

Anyway, mouser is a great site, don't know much about those drivers but they look to have an unbelievably high impedence. Most cans don't have over 70

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You should consider open backs for the koss drivers. They have plenty of bass, so unless you tweak it they might have too much in a closed can.

What are you aiming for? Isolation, or anything in particular?

oh, and woody earcups FTW!

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info on this - still a bit up in the air on which to get now. Those ksc75's don't seem that bad but maybe I'll still with the Mousers. I'll definitely post results.

Oh, what do you all think about burning the drivers in? Do the Koss need to be burnt-in? I would imagine the Mousers do.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr8rjohnk View Post
Thanks for all the info on this - still a bit up in the air on which to get now. Those ksc75's don't seem that bad but maybe I'll still with the Mousers. I'll definitely post results.

Oh, what do you all think about burning the drivers in? Do the Koss need to be burnt-in? I would imagine the Mousers do.
The KOSS would definitely have to be burned in, but probably for less time than the Mousers. If I were you I would find a site that sells drivers for cans and pick up those, because the drivers on the ksc75's just aren't worth buying if you wanna build your own pair. You should be able to throw a nice pair together for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr8rjohnk
View Post

Lots of good advice in this thread - thanks.

i still say buy a pair of ksc 75's even if you dont end up choping them up they still are some bad ass little cans. well worth their price. use em for portables if ya have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts