Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am making a new build and wanted to get the proper power supply, PC partpicker suggests a 760 watt power supply along with other calculators I've checked are similar. But that is not with the Fans/pump and/or lighting if I decide to put some in.
But I've read that my GPU's and CPU can generate close to 1000 watt power draws when overclocking, but this is something I can not confirm yet as I have not gotten every part for the build to test it.

I did not figure that out until after I ordered a 1000 watt PSU (Seasonic Prime 1000W).. My question is, should I return my PSU and get like a 1200-1300 watt or just stay with my 1000 watt?

Here is some references to my build:

Build Log

PCPartpicker

Anyone with a similar setup who could confirm this for me before I RMA my current power supply?

Edit: Sources of my concerns for power draw.

CPU

My two GPU's

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
I dont know where you are getting all those numbers from but they are all nonsense and its also a known fact that all online calculators oversate by at least 28%
Keep the PSU you bought

The only thing you bought you should return is the 960 Pro SSD

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

I dont know where you are getting all those numbers from but they are all nonsense and its also a known fact that all online calculators oversate by at least 28%
Keep the PSU you bought

The only thing you bought you should return is the 960 Pro SSD
What's wrong with the 960 Pro?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz85 View Post

What's wrong with the 960 Pro?
M.2 NVME SSD´s are held back by massive software limitations which means the only places you are ever going to see the full speeds is in synthetic benchmarks or if you use Linux
Out in the real world the drive is not going to be any faster then an old SATA III ACHI based SSD which measn the 960 Pro is pointless and a waste of money

Linus Tech Tips made a video about it and they tested a bunch of games both with a SATA III AHCI SSD and an M.2 NVME SSD and the results was loading times where exactly the same across all test and games down to the spilt second
At this point in time the M.2 NVME SSD´s are a pointless gimmick held back by software limitations which make them no faster then older drives despite the much higher costs

Return it and get a bigger SATA III AHCI SSD instead

• Rep+
Reactions: Stiltz85

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

M.2 NVME SSD´s are held back by massive software limitations which means the only places you are ever going to see the full speeds is in synthetic benchmarks or if you use Linux
Out in the real world the drive is not going to be any faster then an old SATA III ACHI based SSD which measn the 960 Pro is pointless and a waste of money

Linus Tech Tips made a video about it and they tested a bunch of games both with a SATA III AHCI SSD and an M.2 NVME SSD and the results was loading times where exactly the same across all test and games down to the spilt second
At this point in time the M.2 NVME SSD´s are a pointless gimmick held back by software limitations which make them no faster then older drives despite the much higher costs

Return it and get a bigger SATA III AHCI SSD instead
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out that Linus video.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
I dont get why you are doing SLI either as SLI is now more or less completely dead and support is now near non existing as well
Games are not being programed for SLI anymore either which means a second video card is more or less throwing money out the window

Your system is actually going to be a little bit slower in some games with SLI not faster
You would be much better off sticking with a single video card instead

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Actually after looking over your system you might need to get a bigger PSU after all if you have plans for overclocking both your GPU´s and the CPU
These new X299 CPU´s are massive power hogs

Looking at your build log i saw you looked at a SilverStone something 1300 watt and my answer is dont bother with SilverStone PSU´s as they are mediocre
A better option would be a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200 watt

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Actually after looking over your system you might need to get a bigger PSU after all if you have plans for overclocking both your GPU´s and the CPU
These new X299 CPU´s are massive power hogs

Looking at your build log i saw you looked at a SilverStone something 1300 watt and my answer is dont bother with SilverStone PSU´s as they are mediocre
A better option would be a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200 watt
I was hoping to get a Titanium rated PSU but I agree about the Silverstone, It does not even have a power switch and that would make filling the loop a pain in the ass.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltz85 View Post

I was hoping to get a Titanium rated PSU but I agree about the Silverstone, It does not even have a power switch and that would make filling the loop a pain in the ass.
Titanium is only 2% higher then Platinum so its not huge amounts
If it really matters you could go all out and get the Corsair AX1500i

Also another comment is since you are doing 3D rendering the program you want to use might or might not have any software limitations like games have
You should look into that as i am not an expert on 3D rendering but if there are no limitations you might actually be able to use the full M.2 NVME speeds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts