Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone this is my parts list for my 3950x build
( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WbMt3t )
Wanted to know if you were in my shoes what would you change?

Is the cooler enough for an oc'd 3950x?

Is the Mobo really as good as an overclocker as a hero/impact?

The ram will be running at 3800/3600 with tight timings.

Case will be bought locally as shipping will be outrageous.

Thanks a lot.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Also unless you can benefit from a PCIe 4.0 SSD (e.g. all you do is disk intensive workloads like video editing for very, very large files) then I would just stick with PCIe 3.0 SSDs, specifically the Phison E12 + Toshiba BiCS TLC clones.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/355...d-value-ssds-2019-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba.html

I'd get two of the 2TB Pioneer APS-SE20G if you really need 3-4TB on 2 slots: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tB...b-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-aps-se20g-2t

For PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4p...y-modular-at-power-supply-fd-psu-ionp-660p-bk

I honestly don't even see a reason to go past 80 PLUS Gold because that efficiency doesn't really get you anything. Unless you're running some server farm where those small efficiency gains will actually translate to large savings, I wouldn't bother. The good platinum and gold units usually cost the same though.

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea can easily go for a 280mm and 360mm (there are cases that will support them)

+ I don't mind the price jump from the tuf to the unify if it will clock and Handel the ram better.

I use solar panels for most of the day which made me just go for that seasonic unit + it's just a difference of less than 15$

Thanks

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Yea can easily go for a 280mm and 360mm (there are cases that will support them)

+ I don't mind the price jump from the tuf to the unify if it will clock and Handel the ram better.

Thanks
Doesn't make a difference. The TUF uses the same VRM as the Strix E and F Vcore side (-E has a different SoC VRM but that doesn't really matter since that VRM isn't powering an iGPU like on the APUs).

All of the 400 and 500 series motherboards use daisy chain for the memory trace topology (it's more or less a requirement by AMD). Unless the board has components over the memory traces to add noise, they'll all give more or less the same maximum frequencies and minimum timings. You're only really limited by your CPU's IMC.

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't make a difference. The TUF uses the same VRM as the Strix E and F Vcore side (-E has a different SoC VRM but that doesn't really matter since that VRM isn't powering an iGPU like on the APUs).
I see, so basically won't lose any overclocking prowess and would cost around half the price.

Thanks

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,555 Posts
All of the 400 and 500 series motherboards use daisy chain for the memory trace topology (it's more or less a requirement by AMD). Unless the board has components over the memory traces to add noise, they'll all give more or less the same maximum frequencies and minimum timings. You're only really limited by your CPU's IMC.

pretty sure the AsRock X570 Taichi is T-Toplogy.

daisy chain is better for 2 DIMM OCing, T-Topology is good for 4 DIMM. Daisy Chain is dog poo at OCing 4 DIMMs (my Z390 Taichi won't run more than 2 DIMMs above 3633, two DIMMs I can run 4266) so I have a hard time believing that AMD required it...

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
  • Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
pretty sure the AsRock X570 Taichi is T-Toplogy.

daisy chain is good for 2 DIMM OCing, t-topology is good for 4 DIMM. daisy chain is dog poo at OCing 4 DIMMs so I have a hard time believing that AMD required it... sure they didn't recommend it?
Hmmm my mistake then. Probably just the recommendation.

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I am very keen on getting it after just crying over the price of the impact/hero (although the hero gets priced better than the insane price on the impact from time to time).

And if I went with 280mm/360mm should I just pick the same cooler with a bigger rad?
Thanks

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
You're going to run into your chip's limits before the board starts limiting you. It's not like you're doing LN2 or anything.

CLC's I'll leave for somebody else to answer.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,555 Posts
a 280/360 AIO/CLC and a high end air cooler are going to basically get you identical temps in an open test bench scenario. past that it really comes down to your case, your fans/airflow, and where the radiator is placed.

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT is less than half the price of a H150i Pro, I'd only get an AIO if you don't like/have room for a big honkin' heatsink.

• Rep+
Reactions: Awsan

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the main reasons I was going with that cooler was it was less than 90$ and performed really good, but to say the truth I always wanted an nh-d15 specially the black one.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
One of the main reasons I was going with that cooler was it was less than 90$ and performed really good, but to say the truth I always wanted an nh-d15 specially the black one.
I mean with your budget does that $10 really make a difference?

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mean with your budget does that $10 really make a difference?
Oh sorry didn't mean that the price was the limiting factor , it was just the aio kid in me + I will have to let a family member carry it with some of the parts from the USA which made an AIO look lighter an relatively easier to carry (but not really)

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Oh sorry didn't mean that the price was the limiting factor , it was just the aio kid in me + I will have to let a family member carry it with some of the parts from the USA which made an AIO look lighter an relatively easier to carry (but not really)
I'm not actually sure how much easier it would be to carry since those radiators are pretty big. Also if you do, make sure it's in checked baggage. They might confiscate it due to the amount of liquid in it.

I'd recommend the D15 over it just because air cooling doesn't have to deal with the maintenance issues CLCs might have (or water cooling in general) like diffusion of the liquid through tubes (evaporation through the tubes), pump failures, or potential leakages (rare but catastrophic).

·
Still kinda lost
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not actually sure how much easier it would be to carry since those radiators are pretty big. Also if you do, make sure it's in checked baggage. They might confiscate it due to the amount of liquid in it.

I'd recommend the D15 over it just because air cooling doesn't have to deal with the maintenance issues CLCs might have (or water cooling in general) like diffusion of the liquid through tubes (evaporation through the tubes), pump failures, or potential leakages (rare but catastrophic).
One more question, how realistic is metal heat saturation in my case?

+ I have traveled with my sig rig for the past 5 years and understand how painful it is to interact with airport officers ( specially when the know that there a water inside the case ) :D

·
Invalid Media
4,923 Posts

...unless you plan to run some crazy oc (voltskies and Giga_giggles wise) which would get you to the custom loop territory anyway, Noctua NH-D15 are a great choice...if you do decide to go for AIO though, I'ed go for the biggest, baddest 360 out there

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-coolers/

But the Noctua NH-D15 can match most of the AIO in rational oc territory - and is far less complicated as a long-term ownership experience.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts