Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is pretty poor, my internet seems to spike to ridiculous ping and jitter levels (600+ for both) according to pingtest.net, and my time playing CSGO and BF4. What I want to know is what can I do to fix this? What should I replace in order to achieve a more consistent connection, even with 4-5 people using it at a time? My current setup is as follows:

I have this ADSL2+ Modem/Router plugged into a splitter, which is plugged into the wall socket. The current model number for the one I have is DM111PSPv2, according to the box.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-broadband-adsl2-modem/3219089.p?id=1218386645750

Then, plugged into that Modem/Router I have this for wireless connectivity.
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-Frustration-Free/dp/B00K91DB7Y

To stop these ping spikes, that seem to happen a little while, maybe 2-3 hours after everything has been turned on, I tried putting the Netgear into modem mode, and with the linksys I couldn't really find any settings that seemed like they would help with the issue. Nothing helped though.

Another question I have is that, my father absolutely insists to get an all in one, aka AC1900 + Modem + Router, and I'm not so sure that this is the best way to go. Any help on these issues is greatly appreciated, and router or modem suggestions are also very much welcomed.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Test your connection?

www.speedtest.net

Considering 4-5 people using it at the same time to do things on it like stream, watch Youtube, and download the speed is going to be bad and so will your ping. Maybe consider changing to a faster service if it's available?

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

Test your connection?

www.speedtest.net

Considering 4-5 people using it at the same time to do things on it like stream, watch Youtube, and download the speed is going to be bad and so will your ping. Maybe consider changing to a faster service if it's available?
I think the lowest I ever saw my speeds go down with 4-5 people using it was 13mbps, and our ISP gives us 20mbps normally. Keep in mind this is a speedtest run while my parents watch netflix, my brother plays minecraft and uses skype, and my sister does instagram/facebook.

Upload speed doesn't change much, as our ISP gives us a measly 0.70mbps, and it seems to go down to around 0.40 if enough people are using it.

Lastly, this is the fastest service in our area, it's either stick with it or move to dial up.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Do you live in an area that is served by a wireless ISP? You might and just not know it. I found that out and it was life changing

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

Do you live in an area that is served by a wireless ISP? You might and just not know it. I found that out and it was life changing
Nope, like I said our current ISP is the only ISP in the area that can give us more than 56k.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHo29388 View Post

Nope, like I said our current ISP is the only ISP in the area that can give us more than 56k.
what is "your area"? just because you don't know of one doesn't mean their isn't one.

also I'm going to disagree with your father. I have everything separate - then again I use xeon hardware to run my router. anyways if you have everything all in one, you have no way to figure out where the issue is. they're not actually "one device" but two or 3 devices in one box, a modem, a router/gateway, and a switch.

honestly i would say step one is to get a modem WITHOUT wireless/router features, and plug your gaming PC right into it, and see how the service is with literally only one computer attached. if you still have problems, then you've eliminated two possibilities.

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHo29388 View Post

what is "your area"? just because you don't know of one doesn't mean their isn't one.

also I'm going to disagree with your father. I have everything separate - then again I use xeon hardware to run my router. anyways if you have everything all in one, you have no way to figure out where the issue is. they're not actually "one device" but two or 3 devices in one box, a modem, a router/gateway, and a switch.

honestly i would say step one is to get a modem WITHOUT wireless/router features, and plug your gaming PC right into it, and see how the service is with literally only one computer attached. if you still have problems, then you've eliminated two possibilities.
Well, if cablemover.com is a reliable source to find Cable ISPs, then I have no options for cable in my area based solely on that. As for DSL, well...I'm pretty sure whatever AT&T or Verizon offers won't be any better. All of this is beside the point anyways.

I have fixed ping issues by going back to using what I believe is a slowly dying Modem/Router, this one to be exact. The reason we stopped using it was because of the signal getting weaker and weaker, getting only 1-2 bars 35ft away from it.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TD-W8980-Wireless-Gigabit-Compatible/dp/B00C4OANW0

Since my father also did not like the Linksys router I listed in the OP, he returned it and ordered this, which in turn I figured I would return my Netgear modem, as there would be no need for it.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-D7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00JRUZS42/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420261717&sr=1-1&keywords=Archer+D7

After returning the Netgear modem, I purchased one of these for my desktop:
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-AC1200-Wi-Fi-Adapter-A6210-100PAS/dp/B00MRVJY1G/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420261788&sr=1-3&keywords=netgear+ac1200

After everything said and done above, with the current router/modem that is gonna crap out in the near future, I get 4 bars on the 5ghz signal, getting around 20 ms ping and 2-3 jitter, and it's all around the clock consistent. Now, if the Archer D7 gives us the same consistancy as this router does, but with much better signal then I'll be fine pretty much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts