1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
4850 every time.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
They're about equal, 4850 has maybe a slight advantage, but GTS250 has CUDA and PhysX. 4850 is best bang for the buck if you don't need those features.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
The 4850 is a bit faster, the only advantage to the GTS 250 is you can do physx on it...if you care about that stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Most 250's do have much nicer cooling solutions (i.e. they're cooler and quieter) than the reference one that's on most 4850's. They are also very close in performance. The 250 is basically a 9800GTX+. The + version came out to compete with the 4850, and bested it in most tests.

Plus most nvidia brands (evga and bfg especially if you're in the US) are better than most ATI brands (IMHO) ...

Depending on price and which cooler is on each card, I'd be inclined to choose a 250 myself.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Stock (Orignal & v2) HD4850 coolers were/are noisy, and do not run as well as the GTS250 or 9800GTX+ coolers did/do.

And EVGA, BFG, PNY, XFX, Zotac, Sparkle, & (some japanese company I can't do the name on) all have Lifetime Warranties.

ATi's AIB's have XFX & VisionTek for Lifetime Warranties.
Diamond is a joke
Sapphire automatically charges you $15 because of the middleman department

PowerColor is nice, but only 3 years
HIS has great coolers from Arctic Cooling, but a 2-3 Year warranty depending on the card and no Phone #

GeCube is gone.

Asus is good, only 3 years though.

Gigabyte doesn't really make a splash like they do with Mobo's

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
OT: GTS 250 pulls less power and when SLI'd outperforms a single GTX 285 in most tests. AFAIK the ATI cant touch those numbers when it comes to CFX scaling. ATI makes great cards tho. If Im wrong PLEASE CORRECT ME without a flamethrower, plz and thx.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Most 250's do have much nicer cooling solutions (i.e. they're cooler and quieter) than the reference one that's on most 4850's. They are also very close in performance. The 250 is basically a 9800GTX+. The + version came out to compete with the 4850, and bested it in most tests.

Plus most nvidia brands (evga and bfg especially if you're in the US) are better than most ATI brands (IMHO) ...

Depending on price and which cooler is on each card, I'd be inclined to choose a 250 myself.

Was going to post just about this.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
OT: GTS 250 pulls less power and when SLI'd outperforms a single GTX 285 in most tests. AFAIK the ATI cant touch those numbers when it comes to CFX scaling. ATI makes great cards tho. If Im wrong PLEASE CORRECT ME without a flamethrower, plz and thx.[/quote]

1. Radeon HD4850X2 2GB
  2. Geforce GTX285 2GB
  3. Geforce GTX285 1GB
  4. Radeon HD4890 2GB
  5. Radeon HD4890 1GB
  6. Radeon HD4850X2 1GB
  7. Geforce GTX 275 1792MB
  8. Geforce GTX 280 1GB
  9. Geforce GTX 275 896MB
  10. Geforce 9800GX2 1GB
That's a list of GPU's pertaining to how they perform.
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...time-last.html

That's the OCN list for that matter.

And for the GPU scaling, it depends. 2 x 1GB cards or HD4850x2 2GB outperform the GTX285.

normally the 285/280 do better than the 512mb cards.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
If the OP is willing to buy used, there are 4870 1GB and GTX 260 you can buy for about $130 and below. Both would be better cards to get imho.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

No, he is speaking the truth.

Stock (Orignal & v2) HD4850 coolers were/are noisy, and do not run as well as the GTS250 or 9800GTX+ coolers did/do.

- i have to trash this comment and say that the xfx 4850 1 gb i had back in mid 09 for a couple of weeks was not even as loud as a medium loon on average. so a noisy cooler depends on the brand / version purchased.

that said, if i was the op i would get the 4850 not because i have an ati card right now or i been an ati user for the last 6 month, i just like the performance the 4850 puts out for the price, i would however recommend a 1gb version rather then a 512mb.

if however your looking on an upgrade-able route, get a 250 and sli them later if need be

my 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/g...1026/18535.png

every benchmark they do has the 4850 in the lead with the exception of crysis warhead (does anyone actually play crysis?)

the 4850 is less expensive, a newer gpu and you can get them with a double lifetime warranty. i've built PCs with both cards, including several flavors of the 4850, and the cooling solutions are quite comparable. looks like it's time for you to roll out the subjective arguments.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Both cards are great, both are just about equal in performance. Just get the cheaper of the two, or the one with the best cooling. Most newer 4850s have nice cooling now, but if it looks like this 4850 posted below, I would pass on it. The original cooler was garbage.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985
View Post

- i have to trash this comment and say that the xfx 4850 1 gb i had back in mid 09 for a couple of weeks was not even as loud as a medium loon on average. so a noisy cooler depends on the brand / version purchased.

That XFX Card was not using the Original V1 or later V2 cooler. It was using a custom design from XFX.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts