Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my question is pretty simple, I need longer speaker wire and sub cord so I can put my speakers up high but keep the main center of the system down low. Here's a link to my boombox:

http://www.cybertheater.com/sony/son..._shelf_system/

The kind of wire for the speakers is like simple copper (two for each speaker) and the sub cord has a plug on the end. How can I elongate the wire for the speakers and sub? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
You are gonna have to either splice some new wire on the speakers or take the speakers out of the speaker box and make a whole new wire coming straight off of the speaker. For the sub I would just cut and splice. Just make sure you dont cut too close to the plug, you will need room to strip the wire a little.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
yeah, just splice and add whatever amount you need. i'd suggest going a foot over what you need, for manueverablilty. just remember when splicing to use electrical tape to wrap each individual splice, then wrap the whole area that was spliced. this prevents speaker signals from crossing wires.

hope this helps,
ATVkid

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
after you cut and strip the wires (just a little is neccesary) either:

1)twist the two stipped ends together and tape over the connection well with electic tape(crappy way)

OR

2)place the two stripped ends into a butt connector and crimp them(better way)

NOTE: you probably know this but speaker wire has two lines in it. you have to split the cords into those two lines and connect the lines seperately.
S=splice here (dots are for formatting, ignore them)
..||
..||
./..\\
S...S
.\\../
..||
..||

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
sry for some of the same info, didnt see atvkid's post

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had no idea on how to splice wires before, but now I'm a pro. lol. I spliced like 4 times ( times that by 2 cuz of two wires per splice). I have noticed no degrading of the audio, so I am happy. I have a couple more questions, tho, does having all the splices have any kind of fire hazard (it just seem dangerous to have all the wires). Also, after splicing the two cords from the sub, now when I turn on the sub, it works, but there is no light on the sub when it's on. Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan
I had no idea on how to splice wires before, but now I'm a pro. lol. I spliced like 4 times ( times that by 2 cuz of two wires per splice). I have noticed no degrading of the audio, so I am happy. I have a couple more questions, tho, does having all the splices have any kind of fire hazard (it just seem dangerous to have all the wires). Also, after splicing the two cords from the sub, now when I turn on the sub, it works, but there is no light on the sub when it's on. Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Not enough power going through those speakers to do any damage, but thats if you havn't overclocked your speakers and are pushing 500watts through each satelitte... lol

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
you didnt splice the power cable did you?
that would require different wire if you did.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there were two wires from the sub, I don't know if any of them were power or what not. One was an actual plug like a composite plug, and the other was a small little white plug. No actual power plug-ins other than the one from the central unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts