Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a tuner card for my pc. I know almost nothing about tuner cards so I'm definitely looking for some help here. I have about $100 to spend give or take. Help me out

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
View Post

i remember we talked a bit about it in >this thread<

Hauppauge seem like a good choice

looking for a little more than just a brand

i wanna know what the differences are, what to look for, etc

+rep tho

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the US there are 3 types of tuners: ATSC, NTSC and QAM.
ATSC is what you would need if you are trying to record your local broadcast that you pull in with an Antenna. QAM is what you would use to record unencrypted digital channels from a cable TV line. And NTSC is what you use to record the analog stations from a cable TV line. NTSC is also what is used if you are trying to record from a cable or satellite STB using Svideo or RCA video out. There is one exception to all of this and that is using component out from an STB with a Hauppauge HD PVR. This device is used to capture any station that can be tuned from a Cable or Satelite STB.

When using a Tuner in conjunction with an STB you need to setup an IR blaster to control the STB for channel changing.

Internal tuners come in PCI or PCIe x1. External tuners have USB connections.

So the first questions would be: What is the source you are trying to record from and do you want/need PCI, PCIe or USB?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by craigap
View Post

For the US there are 3 types of tuners: ATSC, NTSC and QAM.
ATSC is what you would need if you are trying to record your local broadcast that you pull in with an Antenna. QAM is what you would use to record unencrypted digital channels from a cable TV line. And NTSC is what you use to record the analog stations from a cable TV line. NTSC is also what is used if you are trying to record from a cable or satellite STB using Svideo or RCA video out. There is one exception to all of this and that is using component out from an STB with a Hauppauge HD PVR. This device is used to capture any station that can be tuned from a Cable or Satelite STB.

When using a Tuner in conjunction with an STB you need to setup an IR blaster to control the STB for channel changing.

Internal tuners come in PCI or PCIe x1. External tuners have USB connections.

So the first questions would be: What is the source you are trying to record from and do you want/need PCI, PCIe or USB?

QAM and NTSC(if possible). Source I'll have to get back to you on, I'm not at my sig rig atm so idk where i'd have slots available. definitely pci or pcie

UPDATE: I checked and i can do pci or pcie x4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts