Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im posting this from my ps3 as psu shuts down after a while. Its a thermaltake toughpower 750w, its 2 weeks old and been fine until today went into bios and 3.3 rail is at 3.7! ive tried taking ram out and still same. All other rails are fine Idont get it I bought this because Ithought it was good quality. Shall I send it back? Istill have invoice, why would this happen? im leavin pc off dont want to damage anything else. Thanks guys advice appreciated !.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Only way to tell is via a Multimeter.

I wouldn't trust the software measure in the least bit.

Set the multimeter to read DC voltage, set the ground in the black motherboard connector, and the other lead into any of the orange connectors.

Then turn on the PSU by placing a piece of wire from the black connector, to the green connector (both of these on the PSU).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yea 3.7 on the 3.3 is a bit too high... plus you siad it's shutting down? RMA definitely.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers chaps any suggestions on what to replace it with? just need 750w modular quiet and good brand thanks. Hows them corsair units?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis456
View Post

Cheers chaps any suggestions on what to replace it with? just need 750w modular quiet and good brand thanks. Hows them corsair units?

Why does it have to be 750w? You can use a 500w unit for your rig...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just get an RMA with thermaltake going and they'll send you a new unit. Corsair doesn't have a 750w modular PSU. You'd have to go up to 1000w unless you could make due with 620w.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ximgatek 750watt Modular/80plus The only other name brand PSU out their in the 80plus/750watt/modular category that I would trust.

I've looked at the Zalaman but I've never done any research to know how good it is.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

Ximgatek 750watt Modular/80plus The only other name brand PSU out their in the 80plus/750watt/modular category that I would trust.

I've looked at the Zalaman but I've never done any research to know how good it is.

The Xigmatek 750 is still unproven. The 850W version showed some QC and performance issues. Until we get a review of the 750W from someone reliable, it's hard to give it a pass.

The Zalman is based on the FSP Epsilon. Since it is over 600W we have to worry about ripple. Thankfully, Zalman has worked with FSP and eliminated the ripple problems in their 750W version: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/661. Unfortunately it is on the expensive side considering it is just a decent, group regulated design. Even though the Xigmatek is unproven I would probably choose it over the Zalman since it is much cheaper ATM.

The Silverstone ST75F and DA750 are also options, the DA750 being the better of the two.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Yes, please test with a multimeter before RMA'ing. I would test all your connectors/voltages while you're at it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ellis456

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
If the PSU is shutting down, then RMA it. By my own experience, it's an anomaly - I've heard good things about TT PSUs, and indeed I have one powering my own build, it's been doing so for two years on a 24x7 basis.

It might be worth investing in a PSU tester - you plug the PSU leads into it and it gives you the voltage readouts. They're cheap enough, but if you already have a multimeter lying about, use that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ellis456

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys guy tested it at computer shop can confirm its faulty! RMA it today vans coming to pick it up, hopefully the replacement is up to scratch otherwise changing make. Thanks for all your help hopefully no damage has been done to components.

System down actually gave me time to fit my new scythe 5.25 cooler and tidy to improve airflow!.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bloke at novatech said 5/6 day turn around this rma process is annoying me allthey need to do is put the thing on a psu tester then ship me a new one whats the hold up! think ill give them a call.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis456 View Post
Bloke at novatech said 5/6 day turn around this rma process is annoying me allthey need to do is put the thing on a psu tester then ship me a new one whats the hold up! think ill give them a call.
mosy psu testers do not read newer psu's correctly, most psu detecters fail a psu if it does not have a -12v line, newer psu's do not have a -12v line, so they fail

how were you originally reading voltages? speedfan is almost always wrong, hwmonitor is sometimes right
others base from the same results
bios is the closest to right thing software wise you can read form

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^I checked in the bios plus shop tested it on a machine too, was way to high definatly bad psu, phoned them today and told me it will be here on Monday, I'll let you guy's know if the new ones ok.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay got new power supply today and it's perfect, hopefuly this one will be a goodun fingers crossed!.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yay got new power supply today and it's perfect, hopefuly this one will be a goodun fingers crossed!.

Good luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz View Post
Good luck

Thanks keep checking volts lol just to make sure!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts