Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm here building this new system for a friend and it has a e6600, 2gb xms2 corsair ddr800, 7900gt, abit aw8 d, and a weird brand power supply.

First try it wouldn't boot, changed video card still no post, changed power supply still no post, only thing I'm thinking it could be is either the motherboard or processor, I believe if ram is bad it should show something right?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
bad ram the system would still turn on...its tough to troubleshoot without being there....err....so you press the power and nothing at all?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi
View Post

bad ram the system would still turn on...its tough to troubleshoot without being there....err....so you press the power and nothing at all?

nothing happeneds, I even switched the memory modules out to other slots and nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8m3rtag
View Post

power switch on the right mobo pins?

it turns on, meaning the pins are in the right place.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
whatt? You just told me that nothing happends? Do you mean video wise? Try another GPU, could be Dead On Arrival (DOA)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi
View Post

whatt? You just told me that nothing happends? Do you mean video wise? Try another GPU, could be Dead On Arrival (DOA)

I get no picture!

I tryed another video card but I still get no post.

I'm thinking its a bad motherboard.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja_Boy
View Post

Yeah, R.M.A that motherboard or take the mobo out of your rig and test the GPU.

You know what good thinking, I'm going to test the GPU in another system and see what happeneds.

I also tested some different ddr2 memory and still no post, now with GPU testing, if it passes test I'ts a bad motherboard.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPU tested good, I'm thinking now will the processor be possibly bad? If so can I put like a pentium D into the abit aw8?

·
Banned
263 Posts
is the mobo grounded? do u have all the screws in?...when I did my build i didnt put all the screws in and it didnt boot and after i did it booted, i guess it was shorted out

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peticsu View Post
is the mobo grounded? do u have all the screws in?...when I did my build i didnt put all the screws in and it didnt boot and after i did it booted, i guess it was shorted out
all the screws are in, but I will take the mobo out and try it like that, that was the next thing I was going to do.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
wait wait wait don't RMA yet, take mobo out and set it on a large peice of cardboard, *this will ground it properly* now connect everything. anything? what motherbaord is it? i know some gigabyte mobo's ram slot are set to 1.8 i think and you need more for higher end memory coudl be that also,

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it's a bad motherboard, took it all out and still no post. His not going to like it! thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary View Post
wait wait wait don't RMA yet, take mobo out and set it on a large peice of cardboard, *this will ground it properly* now connect everything. anything? what motherbaord is it? i know some gigabyte mobo's ram slot are set to 1.8 i think and you need more for higher end memory coudl be that also,
your right about the voltage for the memory, its an abit aw8 though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts