Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kay, so her brother vacuumed over her favorite headphones (yes, they're crappy white earbuds.) I don't feel like convincing her sound quality is more important since the music she listens to is crap anyway (the used, my chem, etc) She just likes to make her ears bleed for some reason so need 'em to be loud. She uses an iPod touch.

So my question to you: How can you determine how loud a headphone/earbud can be? Is the ohm rating of any significance? And can you personally recommend any cheap ones that are loud ($5-$15)

Appreciate it!

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Just get the white buds from any electronics store. They usually have a few generic headphones on sale, so they're pretty easy to get.

The Philips hang-on-ear headphones also do get reasonably loud, so you can consider those as well. Pretty cheap too.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Without lecturing you, headphone volumes can be extremely damaging due to the sound pressure achievable with what seems like reasonable levels. I'm not talking long term damage. I'm talking about instant, irreversible damage. Anyways, to answer your question, I'd look at a quality pair of IEMs from Shure or Ultimate Ears. Both with not only have good quality, but will have a high exterior sound attenuation which will give you a higher perceived volume without the damage. By "drowning out" exterior noise, you can hear much better without rediculous volumes.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
What the above says. Anyway, some white JVC Marshmellows (FX34, FX33). You being a caring boyfriend should care about her hearing and educate her on hearing loss and canalphones and how they isolate etc... and get her some white canalphones.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Without lecturing you, headphone volumes can be extremely damaging due to the sound pressure achievable with what seems like reasonable levels. I'm not talking long term damage. I'm talking about instant, irreversible damage. Anyways, to answer your question, I'd look at a quality pair of IEMs from Shure or Ultimate Ears. Both with not only have good quality, but will have a high exterior sound attenuation which will give you a higher perceived volume without the damage. By "drowning out" exterior noise, you can hear much better without rediculous volumes.
I don't know whether to second this or not.
It all makes a lot of sense. Which is why I went from regular earbuds to IEM's in the first place.

With IEM's, the sound quality was a lot better as there was no leakage, better bass, and of course I didn't have to crank my source that much to achieve the same volumes. But with the increased bass perception that comes with IEM's, I'm always tempted to crank the volume. Which I end up doing anyway. I use EQ to drop the high-mids and the treble a bit because my 'phones have quite the bright signature. But the bass.. Its Godly when cranked.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, I was actually thinking of getting her some that were reasonably quiet so that she would be forced to not damage her eardrums. Hmph!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
I don't know whether to second this or not.
It all makes a lot of sense. Which is why I went from regular earbuds to IEM's in the first place.

With IEM's, the sound quality was a lot better as there was no leakage, better bass, and of course I didn't have to crank my source that much to achieve the same volumes. But with the increased bass perception that comes with IEM's, I'm always tempted to crank the volume. Which I end up doing anyway. I use EQ to drop the high-mids and the treble a bit because my 'phones have quite the bright signature. But the bass.. Its Godly when cranked.
The higher frequencies are what are normally damaged. I've never heard of anyone damaging under 100 hz, but I'm sure it's happened. I've personally never been to a rock concert and had my ears ringing at anything under even 1khz, so I think you're being paranoid about the deep regions. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've left a concert or event and had ringing at 10khz or above.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Get some @ Target for like $10. BTW, The Used is a good band, man... Each time I listen to their debut record, it brings back junior high memories.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Start investing in hearing aid technology because 20 years from now we're going to have a nation of deaf people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts