Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info:
I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for." That doesn't mean I want the most expensive or best of the best when it comes to a purchase like this. Everything becomes obsolete so there's no reason to go overboard. For audio I'm running the Denon Ah-D5000 with a Fostex amp, why is this relevant? I want to get the most of what I've paid for and this is why I've come to you, OCN.

Uses
Movies
TV shows
Gaming:
WoW
Random steam games
  • FPS:
  • CS-GO
  • H1Z1
  • Overwatch
Whats important to me in ranking of importance:
  • Color/definition (Thinking IPS/PLS panel?)
  • Resolution
  • Monitor size (21-27 inch, preferably 24)
  • Refresh rate
  • Aesthetic of the monitor
I've looked at the Xstar/Qnix but it appears the quality of them has diminished.
So... what do you recommend?

·
New001
2,668 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomi View Post

Background info:
I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for." That doesn't mean I want the most expensive or best of the best when it comes to a purchase like this. Everything becomes obsolete so there's no reason to go overboard. For audio I'm running the Denon Ah-D5000 with a Fostex amp, why is this relevant? I want to get the most of what I've paid for and this is why I've come to you, OCN.

Uses
Movies
TV shows
Gaming:
WoW
Random steam games
  • FPS:
  • CS-GO
  • H1Z1
  • Overwatch
Whats important to me in ranking of importance:
  • Color/definition (Thinking IPS/PLS panel?)
  • Resolution
  • Monitor size (21-27 inch, preferably 24)
  • Refresh rate
  • Aesthetic of the monitor
I've looked at the Xstar/Qnix but it appears the quality of them has diminished.
So... what do you recommend?
What graphics card do you have? No sense recommending a 1440p 144hz screen if your GPU cant drive it properly. Also, how do you feel about Gsync/Freesync, are you willing to stick with a single GPU brand for as long as you own the monitor. Max budget?

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efnita View Post

Also, how do you feel about Gsync/Freesync, are you willing to stick with a single GPU brand for as long as you own the monitor. Max budget?
I've never understood this rationale. If the OP buys a monitor with VRR, he's going to be stuck to one brand or the other the same as if he had bought a non-VRR monitor. The display doesn't stop working if you change the brand. What i'm saying is obvious, i know, but people seem to stress this continuity on OCN. If VRR makes sense and is within budget parameters, the OP should always invest.

• Rep+
Reactions: yomi

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most people upgrade their
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

I've never understood this rationale. If the OP buys a monitor with VRR, he's going to be stuck to one brand or the other the same as if he had bought a non-VRR monitor. The display doesn't stop working if you change the brand. What i'm saying is obvious, i know, but people seem to stress this continuity on OCN. If VRR makes sense and is within budget parameters, the OP should always invest.
Most people update their GPU more often than their monitor. Agree you should get VRR if you can afford it, but little use recommending him a Gsync monitor if he is rocking a 290. Or if he is the kind of guy that always has to have the fastest GPU on the market, no matter the brand.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

What graphics card do you have? No sense recommending a 1440p 144hz screen if your GPU cant drive it properly. Also, how do you feel about Gsync/Freesync, are you willing to stick with a single GPU brand for as long as you own the monitor. Max budget?
Can upgrade need be. I'd like it to be no more than 600$... Gsync/Freesync I have no Idea. I know ones made by AMD and the other Nvidia but I don't think that matters? Compatible with both.
Quote:

Most people upgrade their
Most people update their GPU more often than their monitor. Agree you should get VRR if you can afford it, but little use recommending him a Gsync monitor if he is rocking a 290. Or if he is the kind of guy that always has to have the fastest GPU on the market, no matter the brand.
This is actually hilarious to me because I have a 290 right now. Was going to upgrade if the card couldn't handle the monitor recommended. Possibly to a 390?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomi View Post

Can upgrade need be. I'd like it to be no more than 600$... Gsync/Freesync I have no Idea. I know ones made by AMD and the other Nvidia but I don't think that matters? Compatible with both.
This is actually hilarious to me because I have a 290 right now. Was going to upgrade if the card couldn't handle the monitor recommended. Possibly to a 390?
Seeing as you have a AMD card, I would suggest looking into the MG279Q. It is a 144hz, 1440p, IPS monitor with Freesync. For gaming, it is one of the best if not the best monitor for someone with an AMD GPU. There are some issues with the IPS 144hz panels, mainly uniformity issues. This shouldnt matter with any of the games you are playing but if you want to do colour sensitive work or watch movies in a dark room other panels might be better.

A very detailed & professional review of the panel can be found here Mind you, the review is in German so if you dont read German you should use google translate or chrome browser to read the review.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:

Seeing as you have a AMD card, I would suggest looking into the MG279Q. It is a 144hz, 1440p, IPS monitor with Freesync. For gaming, it is one of the best if not the best monitor for someone with an AMD GPU.
It's a pretty good monitor, but it's noteworthy to point out that it can only do 35-90 Hz in Freesync, and even then it has a couple of frames of input lag.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:

Most GPU's will run a 1440p screen fine for desktop usage (movies and tv shows) and it will be a more pleasurable desktop experience at 144hz over 60hz.
Game settings can be adjusted for a compromise between performance and quality.
A nice gpu can be added later if it is really necessary.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

It's a pretty good monitor, but it's noteworthy to point out that it can only do 35-90 Hz in Freesync, and even then it has a couple of frames of input lag.
Heard you can extend it to 144hz, dont have the monitor so never did that myself but look here

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so far we have two suggestions.
1) BenQ GW2765HT
2) Asus MG279Q

Any others? I kind of liked the Asus but heard the QC is horrible for their monitors...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts