223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My PSU blew as5 the other day and i got a new PSU
i installed it and everything was fine, then i powered off yesterday
and this morning everything would turn on but it would not POST
and had no error BEEPS at all, just when i was about to take the board back
as i thought the board was stuffed, i thought about taking the GFX card out
and running it from the On board GFX...........

it boots........so i reset all the BIOS settings ect,
restart it.....it boots, so i put the GFX card back in and restart
......no boot again, so the Question i have is is this board related or
is this GFX card just showing the effects of the original PSU blowing the other day as in its dead ??

Good Advice = REP

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom
View Post

Sounds like GPU. Also, is that 430w is Thermaltake TR2? That's weakest series in the Thermaltake lines. The 430w only can do 210w on 12. Your 9950 is 95w at stock alone. Plus 9800GT is a 105w GPU.

i had changed to a 650 Tough Power TT psu after the 430 watt blew

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
to narrow it down, unplug everything but the board. then add in one piece at a time till it fails to boot.

seems like its the GPU. it could also be the board. some of the current is pulled through the board and the dedicated power plug in is a supplement. if the PSU died, it could have taken the board too. this happened to me. try to get a different GPU and see if ur comp will boot with it, or put your graphics card in a different comp and see if it boots w/ a different board

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
agreed, did this on a Chaintech 7NJL4 (nforce 2 400) back in the day, the PSU blew, lost AGP port 2 DDR slots, and my USB. Also cooked the 5900XT I had

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i did the same thing in an emachies P.O.S i had, i put in a radeon 9800pro, blew the crappy stock 250w. ended up having continous problems till i rebuilt everything, but that athlon XP is still running, its a beast. u just dont ahve a 462 board to put it in. anway, thats when i got hooked on AMD, sadly they fell behind since C2D was released
sad face

to the OP:

returning and rebuilding will be fun, new parts are great! i hate trouble shooting too

u need to swap out ram, GPU, mobo, Psu and maybe teh CPU to narrow down the problem, so its either a lot of ur time and frustration, or spend some money

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
i did the same thing in an emachies P.O.S i had, i put in a radeon 9800pro, blew the crappy stock 250w. ended up having continous problems till i rebuilt everything, but that athlon XP is still running, its a beast. u just dont ahve a 462 board to put it in. anway, thats when i got hooked on AMD, sadly they fell behind since C2D was released
sad face

to the OP:

returning and rebuilding will be fun, new parts are great! i hate trouble shooting too

u need to swap out ram, GPU, mobo, Psu and maybe teh CPU to narrow down the problem, so its either a lot of ur time and frustration, or spend some money

not really, the lost the crown but price vs preformace in the sub100 market they still dominated the entire time, the new Celeron is good, but still a joke, and the E2xxx where good but where still beatable @ stock speeds

And now with the Phenom II out, and the Dual Core Verisions in May AMD is sitting pretty again in the market, with great price preformace in all sectors and the triple core is finally worth it also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts