Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.<br><br>
I just recently put together a new PC: Abit AW9D, E6600, 2xSeagte 7200.10 320Gb, 2GB OCZ 6400, ATI X1950XTX, Antec NeoHE 430W<br><br>
OK, issue:<br><br>
When ever I play a 3D or run a 3D benchmark the PSU makes this wierd squeaky noise, similar to a modem (but without the dings and ping or static) and in sync with the screen activity. It's louder than anyother component.<br>
More intense 3d, higher pitched.<br><br>
No activity no noise. But it also makes the noise on some games menus... I figured that could be bad programming.<br><br>
The shop I purchased the unit from wants a restocking fee $26 + $45 to swap it for the 550W.<br><br>
The system is stable, but squeaking noise is a little disconcerting.<br><br>
Is there a chance I can do some serious damage to my system?<br>
Should I swap it?<br><br>
The X1950XTX recommends 30Amps and 450W or more, the neohe has 3 rails with a total of 384w or 384/12 = 32Amps.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
are you positive the sound is coming from your psu? regardless it seems a little underpowered.<br />
<br />
the shop shouldn't be allowed to charge you a restocking fee if the unit is defective (and it sounds like it is) they might require you to accept the same unit in return but they should do that for free.<br />
<br />
Then you'd probably be better off selling it on your own since they want $26 restocking fee. Just buy a different psu from someplace else and rid yourself of their crappy policies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% it's coming from the PSU. And not a fan noise, it's a capacitor noise.<br />
<br />
The shop has no issue with sending of for a warranty repair/replace. But if I want to change it, that's a $26 restock fee + I need to ship the unit back to them too $10.<br />
<br />
I figured I wouldn't get a great deal for the PSU on ebay. I'm weighing up if I should keep it or upgrade.<br />
<br />
<br />
What y'all reckon? Never had a PSU make a squeaky modem noise under load.<br />
<br />
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
um my gpu makes that sound under load. always has a really high pitched squeeling right ? Move a window around on screen really fast and see what happens

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>rayone</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">100% it's coming from the PSU. And not a fan noise, it's a capacitor noise.<br />
<br />
The shop has no issue with sending of for a warranty repair/replace. But if I want to change it, that's a $26 restock fee + I need to ship the unit back to them too $10.<br />
<br />
I figured I wouldn't get a great deal for the PSU on ebay. I'm weighing up if I should keep it or upgrade.<br />
<br />
<br />
What y'all reckon? Never had a PSU make a squeaky modem noise under load.<br />
<br />
Thanks.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div><br />
Tell them if they want your business to shove the restocking fee. They're making that crap up. It doesn't cost 26 bucks to put something back on the shelf after they get a new one from warranty.<br />
<br />
You just gotta know how to work it. The customer is always right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts