Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:
Today, Microsoft has a new post on its Office blog, along with a humorous infographic (shown below) that shows how much the computing world in general has changed in the past decade since the launch of Office 2003 in August 2003. While the software had a number of interesting features, including the first version of OneNote and the final version of "Clippy", Microsoft now says that individuals and businesses who are still using the software now need to move on.
Much more enjoyable than the intrusive pop-ups of XP
www.get2modern.com to find out what products await you in the modern world and the potential benefit
tongue.gif

Also remember to check if your still running windows XP http://amirunningxp.com/
 

·
Politically incorrect
Joined
·
9,464 Posts
So I need to get a new version of Office? Thanks MS, thanks a lot, now I need to go to www.libreoffice.org and download the latest version because mine keeps telling me it's outdated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

So I need to get a new version of Office? Thanks MS, thanks a lot, now I need to go to www.libreoffice.org and download the latest version because mine keeps telling me it's outdated.
Good, you shouldn't be running Office 2003 over the most recent LibreOffice anyway
tongue.gif
 

·
Politically incorrect
Joined
·
9,464 Posts
So I need to get a new version of Office? Thanks MS, thanks a lot, now I need to go to www.libreoffice.org and download the latest version because mine keeps telling me it's outdated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Good, you shouldn't be running Office 2003 over the most recent LibreOffice anyway
tongue.gif
The only time I touch MS Office is when I work on my things away from home and I hate it.
 

·
^^That's my user name^^
Joined
·
9,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

So I need to get a new version of Office? Thanks MS, thanks a lot, now I need to go to www.libreoffice.org and download the latest version because mine keeps telling me it's outdated.
You tell them!!!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

So I need to get a new version of Office? Thanks MS, thanks a lot, now I need to go to www.libreoffice.org and download the latest version because mine keeps telling me it's outdated.
The nerve of them, not supporting an 11 year old software product.
 

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
Joined
·
5,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseb1 View Post

The nerve of them, not supporting an 11 year old software product.
I don't know why lack of support is a reason to upgrade anyway. It's an office suite. It does most of what the newer office suites do. There is little reason to pay for a licence for a new version unless you can't get it to work on newer Windows versions (and support won't help there) or if there are significant security vulnerabilities uncovered that go unpatched. The latter is more of an issue for browsers though, and there are plenty of big companies still running IE6.
 

·
Politically incorrect
Joined
·
9,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseb1 View Post

The nerve of them, not supporting an 11 year old software product.
Did you read the post in which I say that I haven't used MS Office in years? I stopped using MS Office when I discovered OpenOffice, then switched to LibreOffice when that became available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
It's a business, they want to sell more product but can't because old stock is still being used and runs just fine. How do they fix this? Tell them the old Office is no longer supported and they " have to upgrade. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,750 Posts
It used to be the sympathy vote that got me to buy software, the one where you felt the Dev's had worked hard and were skilled so you paid your way knowing they would benefit greatly and things could improve as a result.

Now .. Corporate Cartels, forcing low wages and poor business decisions down on pressured Dev's who cant leave the company whilst profits start to lean sideways and CEO's + shareholders pop the cork on their yacht.

No, thanks Im all about opensource + donations or direct payment now. The community will make better software for the average home user..
 

·
^^That's my user name^^
Joined
·
9,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

It used to be the sympathy vote that got me to buy software, the one where you felt the Dev's had worked hard and were skilled so you paid your way knowing they would benefit greatly and things could improve as a result.

Now .. Corporate Cartels, forcing low wages and poor business decisions down on pressured Dev's who cant leave the company whilst profits start to lean sideways and CEO's + shareholders pop the cork on their yacht.

No, thanks Im all about opensource + donations or direct payment now. The community will make better software for the average home user..
That last bit is debatable
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Did you read the post in which I say that I haven't used MS Office in years? I stopped using MS Office when I discovered OpenOffice, then switched to LibreOffice when that became available.
Idem.

Been using LibreOffice for as long as I remember being somewhat of a power Office user.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
Fair enough, it's 11 years old, I can expect that
smile.gif


Guess will move to open source though, I don't work enough with Office personally to justify the cost. Only got it originally as it comes cheap in a multi-user package when buying a laptop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
Maybe I just lead a boring life, but there's nothing I need out of an office suite that Google Docs can't handle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Maybe I just lead a boring life, but there's nothing I need out of an office suite that Google Docs can't handle.
Ugh, GDocs. I find it sooooo sluggish.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary View Post

It's a business, they want to sell more product but can't because old stock is still being used and runs just fine. How do they fix this? Tell them the old Office is no longer supported and they " have to upgrade. "
And they will neglect to add, "...if you want support" on that sentence. I am sure there will be places upgrading out of fear of losing support that if they stopped and looked back they'd realize that they never had an issue with Office 2003 and don't really need support anyway.

Though I am of the belief that if you are using Office 2003...just go Open Office or Libre Office. It will be an upgrade.

However, Starting with Office 2007 there are some nice things that Office does better than the free versions...but they only matter if you are using them (things like simplifying database tie ins, making bibliographies/Work Cited Pages, making web pages from other office docs...). In 2010 Microsoft made it even better...I haven't really seen anything special with 2013 though.
 

·
^^That's my user name^^
Joined
·
9,931 Posts
The simple fact of the matter is people go to school to master the functions of office. Sure, Libre office does most of the stuff, but at the cost of a dated UI and minimal true support.

It is free for a reason. I bought 2010. I'll probably buy ever 2nd version. I can understand not buying the new version every time one comes out. But seriously? People should quit complaining so much.
People love to hate Microsoft. How many software programs are supported for over 10 years?? Windows is the ONLY operating system with detailed support for that long, or longer.
 

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
Joined
·
5,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIMP88 View Post

The simple fact of the matter is people go to school to master the functions of office.
Yet few of them get past journeyman level.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIMP88 View Post

Sure, Libre office does most of the stuff, but at the cost of a dated UI and minimal true support.
I don't know if having a "dated" UI is a cost. If anything it's a bonus. New UIs are a cost because they require relearning all that stuff that you said they went to school for.
wink.gif
Not exactly sure what you mean by "true support", but I'm guessing it's related to compatibility with MS's unnecessary and unnecessarily complicated document formats.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
I would say learning Excel/VB macros thoroughly is one of the best skills to have in an office.

You can earn so many favours and pay rises by optimising spreadsheets
tongue.gif
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top