Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the new typhoon "VX" but I do have the older one, which to me looks the same. Anyway I think it cools wonderfully for an air cooler, but I'm nervous about its size. I've had it for around 5 months now and it's been fine, but I'm worried that it might just fall over one day and rip out the processor with it, and then fall into the video card/sound card and pretty much my entire computer will be destroyed. It hasn't really moved much in the past 5 months, and I tied this thread from it's grills (around the fan) up to the top of my case so in case it does break out maybe those will catch it.<br><br>
Idk I guess I'm wondering if anyone has ever had the big typhoon "break" off of their mount before, and what I should use to reinforce it up in my case . . .<br><br>
it hasn't moved so maybe i'm just paranoid . . . . but I'd still like to know

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The socket clips, if secure, will hold the heatsink on for sure. It IS a beefy mutha, but it wouldn't be so successful if it were "overweight" for the socket.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
you can take a piece of velco, or a zip tie, or a piece of string and hang it from the top of your case if you are worried about it snapping something, it will take some/most of the tension of your mobo

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
The old Tower112's (what I am running) are crazy heavy as well and a bit taller if I am not mistaken and mine has gone nowhere in the past 1-1/2 years. Take a peek at my rig pics if you are curious to the size & setup.<br><br>
Edit...Oops, I didn't post a visible guts shot of the thing...my bad. I'll have to fix that

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Theres no need, its fine, just a healthy slab of paranoia

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I got a question so I figured I'd ask in here.<br />
<br />
I also had this concern, as I'm planning on going to Lan Partys alot.<br />
<br />
Is the bouncing around while moving the case to and from Lan Partys risky with a BT VX? (I'm not going to be using any strings to hold it up)

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Take the string off so it doens't look stupid...*****. It isn't that heavy. Trust me, it won't break the motherboard...haven't you seen how it's attached? It's screwed into a metal backplate...

·
Registered
977 Posts
The VX has mountings, not a backplate. and they are a ***** to get right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts