Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have had an HTPC built for a while running Windows 8.1 and Kodi as my media front end, however I've been trying to tackle the best method of accessing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video the easiest without using a mouse and keyboard. The current way I do this is with the Windows Apps for Netflix and Hulu, and I just plain haven't had any luck with anything related to Amazon Prime Video. To control things, I've been using a wireless Xbox 360 controller and receiver along with a program called XBStart, which allows navigating through the start menu via the controller using the D-Pad as arrow keys and things like the A button acting as enter; it's been a really nifty program for my purposes.

The issue I've run into is that the Windows Apps don't natively support any control other than mouse and left/right to scroll through the app. There is no way to select an individual choice inside the app without enabling Mouse mode and putting the cursor on whatever you select, which is not as elegant compared to using the D-Pad to navigate to individual selections.

I wanted to see if anybody has had any luck with alternative methods with navigating through services like this in a Windows environment without the use of a mouse and keyboard. Any thoughts? In a perfect world, these services would have a "leanback" mode to their website similar to what Youtube offers (Chrome launcher link to Youtube Leanback is how I watch Youtube content, and it works very well with my setup).

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Get a media remote.
Then you can map buttons on the remote to programs.

I have one of these, and it works pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Infrared-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00KDNIRYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460396037&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+media+remote

However I haven't found a good program to customize the buttons.

My main method of control is still unfortunately a keyboard.
I just use a logitech all in one.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a solid way of getting into individual programs/sites, it's just a matter of controlling things from within the program/site itself that is a pain. I have Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, and Steam all on my Start menu page and XBStart allows me to navigate to any of these very easily. It's when I'm inside the Netflix Windows App that I have to use a mouse cursor controlled with the analog stick of the 360 controller to select things, which I would rather it be able to use the D-Pad to go between different options.

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually tried this out for a bit, but really it's the same functionality as XBStart in mouse mode; lets you control your mouse cursor with the analog stick of the 360 controller, but adds the nifty spiral-style on screen keyboard. I prefer XBStart because 1.) it's free, and 2.) XBStart lets you navigate the start screen which is what I use as my launcher instead of either configuring custom launchers inside of Kodi or using mouse mode to open shortcuts on the desktop.

The main issue is having a Netflix/Hulu environment, be it a website or program or Kodi plugin, that lets you control the interface with essentially the arrow keys instead of moving a mouse around. Devices like Roku, game consoles, Nvidia Shield, etc. have applications that let you navigate these services with a controller of some sorts, so I've just been frustrated they haven't given the same experience to those that use Windows based systems for their HTPC's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts