Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i have this old pc which i wanted to play around with and i haven't figured out how to wire up the internet connection! it annoys me so much.

okay, so at home we have ethernet plugs all over the house, and i have a cable connected to my room, so there should be an internet connection when i plug in an ethernet cable. but there isn't. i've plugged in a modem between the plug in the wall and the computer(ZyXel 2602R-61), but it doesn't show internet. and neither on the computer itself.

so can someone please explain to me why i have no internet connection.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
A wall jack ethernet port usually goes straight into the computer. The modem comes before the wall jack. Why would you put another modem in between?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
too see if there was any connection. in my world the modem jut shows if there's internet or not.

and partially because i don't have an ethernet cable that's long enough to reach the wall

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s33msl3git View Post

too see if there was any connection. in my world the modem jut shows if there's internet or not.

and partially because i don't have an ethernet cable that's long enough to reach the wall
What world is that? In my world, the cable modem modulates the signal from analog to digital.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Plug in a switch and see if it gets any activity to the port?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts