Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PC Gamer
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN

i was wondering whats better, i have a Belkin Gigabit Ethernet PCI Card, and my Onboard Ethernet

atm i am using my Belkin card its speed is 1000mbps
gigabit ethernet (onboard disabled in BIOS)

haha yea not to good in network area,

but not sure what's better, or improvements i can get etc

i actually intended to purchase a wireless PCI card, but stupidly purchased a desktop PCI (wired) card, well i was half asleep from staying up all night, so never make purchases while half asleep !

so i thought i might as well use it, so its installed and working
(we have both wired, and wireless)

Thankfully it was only a $40 AUD mistake ..... otherwise id be even more angry

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by William151515
View Post

Hello OCN

i was wondering whats better, i have a Belkin Gigabit Ethernet PCI Card, and my Onboard Ethernet

atm i am using my Belkin card its speed is 1000mbps
gigabit ethernet (onboard disabled in BIOS)

but not sure what's better, or improvements i can get etc

You don't necessarily gain or lose anything..... provided the On-board will run at Gigabit, which is only advantageous for LAN transfers. You might free up a little "traffic" on the PCI bus by removing the add-in card, althogh it will probable just be replaced by the on-board controller. Don't know if your Mobo has the ability to turn off unused PCI slots, which would again free up minimal resources. But either way, you won't necessarily see any differences at all, other than 1 less card in a PCI slot.

·
PC Gamer
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx View Post
You don't necessarily gain or lose anything..... provided the On-board will run at Gigabit, which is only advantageous for LAN transfers. You might free up a little "traffic" on the PCI bus by removing the add-in card, althogh it will probable just be replaced by the on-board controller. Don't know if your Mobo has the ability to turn off unused PCI slots, which would again free up minimal resources. But either way, you won't necessarily see any differences at all, other than 1 less card in a PCI slot.
i only have 2 PCI slots, Top one has my X-Fi in it, Bottom one has Belkin PCI Card

onboard actually uses the PCI-E interface, so i am actually freeing up resources for my Graphics Card, doubt that actually makes that bigger deal

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Okay, this is true and false.
There can be a difference depending on the chip that is associated with the LAN device.

Intel & Marvel > Realtek > Nforce

That is pretty much how I see it.

·
PC Gamer
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0
View Post

Okay, this is true and false.
There can be a difference depending on the chip that is associated with the LAN device.

Intel & Marvel > Realtek > Nforce

That is pretty much how I see it.

oh ok, it has a Realtek chip inside of it (PCI card)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts