Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two wireless routers. 1 is upstairs connected to the internet and 1 is down stairs conected to my media center / File server. How can I make the one connected to the internet (upstairs) get internet/connect to the one downstairs? is there a way without spending money??? Thanks for the help in advance....

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Could you give some more information please?
What models are these routers? Do you want this done wirelessly or wired?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0
View Post

Could you give some more information please?
What models are these routers? Do you want this done wirelessly or wired?

The router upstairs is a netgear WGU624 and the router downstairs is a Linksys T-mobile one. I would like this to be wireless as I want to give the computer hooked up (hardwired) to the wireless WGU624 to have internet and also have or be apart of the network, the fileserver is on the WGU624. Sorry for being vauge.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
he wants one of the routers to transmit and receive
i think u need ddwrt or whatever it is, which i have no clue
someone chime in for flashing his router

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
This may work simply by defining the LAN IP of the secondary router to be within the domain of IP addresses assigned by the primary router and disabling DHCP on the secondary router.

I'm not positive on this as I have not tried it to wirelessly link 2 routers, but that's what I did to add a secondary wireless router as a wireless access point (and technically it should also work to bridge them wirelessly since then the secondary router is merely acting as a switch with all the IPs assigned by the primary router)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If the router downstairs is a T-Mobile Linksys (specifically the WRT54G-TM), you can flash the firmware with dd-wrt and configure it to act as a wireless bridge.

From what I can understand, this is the functionality you are looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts