Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have brighthouse / spectrum internet services, they had me on a service with a modern where they ran coax cable into each of my three different lofts and had boxes that created a wifi signal in each of the three lofts, it looked like wifi over coax which looked super weird. I would like to be able to create the same experience but run ethernet to cable or put something similar in my lofts, extenders just don't work. I changed from bright house equipment to my own and they said once I got rid of there box types I could never get it again

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Sounds like they are using a typical coax cable line and having each of their "cable boxes" have a wifi access point? Not that weird. You can also run Ethernet frames over coax too, I have seen this at my friends house when the tech was too cheap to run the proper cables and instead insisted on using the existing coax lines for the fios install. It is a specification known as EoC, which is Ethernet over Coax. When necessary you can use a little converter box to change it back to Ethernet for things like going into a normal switch. But there are modems and routers that have the coax input and do the conversion inside.

To get wifi access points in each room, you just run an Ethernet cable from your main router to each loft, and then plug an access point in at each of those locations. Same thing only it will be over normal Ethernet lines instead of coax.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts