Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im after some suggestions really on what to do regarding water cooling.
Currently have i7 2600k sitting in asus p8p67 pro, and a palit 1gb gtx460. along with the HAF X case.

Come the end of the month im getting rid of the 460 and either getting the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 or the Asus GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II.

I dont know if i should do a full loop and buy the hydro copper 2 or just get something like the h70 and by the direct CUII.

What would you guys recommend, also if you do suggest a full loop what stuff would you go with?
 

·
notNOTmbudden
Joined
·
14,432 Posts
Personally, I like silence. So a full loop w/ both GPU & CPU would be nice. Then you don't really have to worry about having a noisey rig.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
I would get the Direct CU, and then put an EK waterblock onto it. The Hydro-copper is overpriced for what it is, and the EK block will actually give you better performance.

If you were to get a custom loop, I would get a Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC Acrylic Reservoir top, the XSPC Rasa CPU block and an XSPC RX360 Radiator. Get some primochill tubing, Danger Den barbs and you should be good to go.

Then again if you want to spend more money on your loop you could get some nicer looking components, but you won't really get any performance gains for parts past what I listed there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

I would get the Direct CU, and then put an EK waterblock onto it. The Hydro-copper is overpriced for what it is, and the EK block will actually give you better performance.

If you were to get a custom loop, I would get a Swiftech MCP355 + XSPC Acrylic Reservoir top, the XSPC Rasa CPU block and an XSPC RX360 Radiator. Get some primochill tubing, Danger Den barbs and you should be good to go.

Then again if you want to spend more money on your loop you could get some nicer looking components, but you won't really get any performance gains for parts past what I listed there.

Thanks for the advise Charlie, quick question though, if you advise not to get the hydro and get the CUII, wouldn it be cheaper get a reference 580 and stick the EK block on that, thing is with the CUII it takes 3 pci slots but its cooler is very good and very quiet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by davekaos
View Post

Thanks for the advise Charlie, quick question though, if you advise not to get the hydro and get the CUII, wouldn it be cheaper get a reference 580 and stick the EK block on that, thing is with the CUII it takes 3 pci slots but its cooler is very good and very quiet

Yes that is a very good idea. Everything is completely up to how much money you are willing to spend, however if you are looking to watercool the 580, then getting a reference and sticking a block on it is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

Personally, I like silence. So a full loop w/ both GPU & CPU would be nice. Then you don't really have to worry about having a noisey rig.

This is true. GPUs fan noise can be annoying...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,945 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by davekaos
View Post

Thanks for the advise Charlie, quick question though, if you advise not to get the hydro and get the CUII, wouldn it be cheaper get a reference 580 and stick the EK block on that, thing is with the CUII it takes 3 pci slots but its cooler is very good and very quiet

Sorry, I was not familiar with the exact product. Other models of the CUII (Such as the GTX460) are priced similar to their reference design counterparts, so I just figured there wouldn't be much of a difference either way. I would definitely get the reference design model if it's going to save you money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

Sorry, I was not familiar with the exact product. Other models of the CUII (Such as the GTX460) are priced similar to their reference design counterparts, so I just figured there wouldn't be much of a difference either way. I would definitely get the reference design model if it's going to save you money.

Looks like i will do that then, 2 reference 580's with 2 ek blocks and im thinking 360 rad at the top of the HAF X and 240 external.

Ill keep yall posted with some pics when i get round to it!
Once again cheers guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55;13160975
The bottom can be easily modded to fit a 240 if you want to fit everything internally.
The reason for me going 240 external is because my pc sits just in-front of my windows which also happens to be quite cold at night which is when i game, so the plan was the back of the case would be intake in PP config and the front and side panel would be exhaust, also top 360 would be intake in PP config.

Thanks for the advise though, definitely something worth considering
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top