Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself a nice BIG 150mm fan in my basment with 5 blades. its not a computer fan but hell i can imagine how well it will work. it pulgs ringht into the wall not the powersupply. but im having problems installing it becuase theres no hole for it (obviously). i tried making several smal holes for ventilation but i can't seem to drill through the case. i was thinking of cutting a big circle out but with what? what type of saw would do that?

then main reason im doing this is cuase i just overclocked my vid card and now tmeps reach up to 60*C hopefully the fan will recude this durastically. i also moved my original side fan to the back of the case for extra cooling.
...aaaand while i was at it and the case was opened i decided to strip apart my old strobe light and slap it in my computer for some sick flashing affects. i will post pictures as soon as everything is up and running but for now i need to make a fan hole :S suggestions? would it be a bad idea to just leave my old 80mm hole and put the fan on the outside? do this would probably result it alot more suction..just a though cause im lazy

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Use a Dremel or Nibbler.

What are you case temps now? If they are ok, adding such a fan won't help that much. How loud is this fan? What kind of motor since you don't want EMI.

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
WATCH 4 EMI... (Elecro magnetical interference), its probably AC since it plugs into a wall and thats an issue... I suggest you just gets some better case fans...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Overclocking
9,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

WATCH 4 EMI... (Elecro magnetical interference), its probably AC since it plugs into a wall and thats an issue... I suggest you just gets some better case fans...

I looked behine and I didn't see u?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Welcome to OCN!

First off trace out the size of the Fan, and then dremel out an opening.

Second try and fill out your system specs, it will help us help you.

Third 60 C is not too bad at all for a graphics card even not overclocked.
alright heres my specs lol:

pentium 4 1.7GHz
512mb RAM
64mb radeon 7000 video card (OCed)
80gig hard drive

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and i have now installed it. i didnt actually drill out a hole but just drilled lots of small holes...and used the hole already there from the 80mm fan i had. temps did drop but not as much as i would have liked. my CPU is now at 38 (idle) but reaches 50 anytime i play a game or put it under stress. and other case temps seem to be fine, around 34, and 30 for hard drive. i was thinking of flipping the fan around so instead of sucking air from the case i will blow air in....is that a bad idea? in my mind its a good idea excpet that im going to be blowing air towards the processor, agaisnt its own fan. anyway im just real concerned about the processor right now because i would like to OC it.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Side fans, like the lower/front usually are blowing in fresh air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

to get your spec filled out (like ours are) go to "Quick links" (in the upper left) -> "Edit Signature" -> "edit system"

daaam i got told that so much today haha, but i had already done it before i noticed anyone telling me so thanks anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oooo i dint even know that. all my fans are outtake (blowing out). hm i'll try some diffrent things and see what works best.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaTtY++
View Post

and i have now installed it. i didnt actually drill out a hole but just drilled lots of small holes...and used the hole already there from the 80mm fan i had. temps did drop but not as much as i would have liked. my CPU is now at 38 (idle) but reaches 50 anytime i play a game or put it under stress. and other case temps seem to be fine, around 34, and 30 for hard drive. i was thinking of flipping the fan around so instead of sucking air from the case i will blow air in....is that a bad idea? in my mind its a good idea excpet that im going to be blowing air towards the processor, agaisnt its own fan. anyway im just real concerned about the processor right now because i would like to OC it.

you have the 150 pulling air out of the case? is it above the cpu? if so revere it, the cpu fan blows air through the heatsink, if you turn the fan around so its blowing in the case it will cool everything. leave your other fans on pull though. that way you dont build up pressure in your case

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

You want to make sure none of your fans are going against each other. you want the fans to create a smooth flow through your case with as little obstructions in the way as possible. the side fan, front fan are usually the intake fans, the top, rear, and PSU fans draw the air out of the case.

well i dont reall have a top of front fan :/ the only case fans i have are a side and 2 back (one for the power supply).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts