Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 2.0 system that is reasonably minimal. Not sure I have space for even mini monitors like M Audios or anything similar.

What else is out there?

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
What's your budget, what's the environment they'll be in and what are you looking for out of them?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr8rjohnk View Post

What's your budget, what's the environment they'll be in and what are you looking for out of them?
Budget is...within reason? If they're legitimate heirloom quality pieces that I can have for numerous decades, I might break into four figures. If they're bound to fail within 5-10 years, or at the very least become pseudo-obselete,then under $500.

I don't need outstanding bass, just crisp, clear audio for music which is typically MP3 but occasionally lossless. I'm not an audiophile in the slightest...I just don't have the ears for it. That said, I do like quality, whether it be in form or function.

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
For that price range (four figures) I'm not comfortable making a suggestion as I have only a little experience with that echelon. No worries though, there are more than a couple of members which I'm sure will chime in soon. Good luck and enjoy what you wind up getting.
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr8rjohnk View Post

For that price range (four figures) I'm not comfortable making a suggestion as I have only a little experience with that echelon. No worries though, there are more than a couple of members which I'm sure will chime in soon. Good luck and enjoy what you wind up getting.
smile.gif
I'm fine with Creative's too if they get the job done. Money is always an object...this is a personal financed, not corporate build. That said, If I have the opportunity to buy something incredibly unique (preferably bordering on antique) that is heirloom quality and capable of being passed on to my children in a functional state, then I have little objection to really splurging.

Note...I am not interested in paying a few grand for Bose 901s...
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kody7839 View Post

Reasonably priced 2.0's with great sound and guild build quality and small form factor....
Try these on for size: Black or White
While you're there, get these to go along with them to give you some flexibility and better sound.
Very happy with the size of these, although they are right at my upper limit. Desk space is currently at a premium to say the least, but 4x6x5 is reasonable.

Thanks!

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Can you run a sub under your desk. I own these, seem in the US they are very expensive, where in Canada they cost $120.
The Edifier S330D $163
http://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S330D-Multimedia-Speaker-Black/dp/B002BA5JLW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327091888&sr=1-1
These are wooden 2-way speakers, not plastic and use standard speaker clips.
The speaker size is 2.5" W x 3.5"D x 7.5" H
Sub size is 9.5" W x 10.5" D X 10.5" H

Another is the Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II Speakers $149
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-GigaWorks-T40-Series-II-Speakers/M/B001S14DYO.htm

Or smaller Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II Speakers $99
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-GigaWorks-T20-Series-II-Speakers/M/B001RNOHDU.htm

Also the The Audyssey Media Speakers About $249
http://www.audyssey.com/products/media-speakers

• Rep+
Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sub is a no go...young children in the house, I am typically going to be running at minimal volume.

The Audyssey's are of note..I looked at them, but was not certain they were powered as I could only see what was possibly the slave channel's back with standard clips.

I had some T40s and am not opposed to another set, but was hoping Creative was a last resort in case I couldn't find something a little more stately and mature than black plastic.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

How small is small? If you want "super small" there's the B&W MM-1 and Harman GLA-55. Both use tweeters from much higher hifi offerings (b&w nautilus and harman cmmd) put into a small box with a 3" woofer.
http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Active-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B003R6U6HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327101429&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-GLA-55-2-0-Powered-Loudspeaker/dp/B001GXQNWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327101422&sr=8-1
Think that is way over priced and way above budget

• Rep+

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
I guess here in Canada is what I was thinking of price. The Harman Kardon GLA-55 is close to $1300, the B&W MM-1 is $450.
For the US the HK are cheaper, but more expensive for the the B&W.

In all, the B&W would be the one to pick out of the two.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still do not know of the Bowers being generational pieces though; something worth hanging onto to pass on. The AudioEngine's seem the most interesting right now due to limited space?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post

I still do not know of the Bowers being generational pieces though; something worth hanging onto to pass on. The AudioEngine's seem the most interesting right now due to limited space?
Bowers and Wilkins makes quality gear...I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on them if you are comfortable with the price tag.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Bowers and Wilkins are good, you could head down to a local Apple store to test em out. They have them on display in most of the Apple stores near me. About them being heirloom quality: that I doubt. Overpriced, but good.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I don't think you are going to get speakers that are heirloom quality that are smaller than the size of your palm lol unless you are commissioning something custom cut from a solid block of Brazilian cherry or something.

Although the GLA-55 would be close.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts