Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i need some help here. Looking for a new 2GB kit. I've decided that my 1GB PC3200 may have become a system bottleneck in my case, and i want to upgrade. I also want a bit of input. Will DDR500 or DDR600 presmably help my overclock. I know you guys can gimme a hand. I also want to keep it below 230 USD

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

Alright, i need some help here. Looking for a new 2GB kit. I've decided that my 1GB PC3200 may have become a system bottleneck in my case, and i want to upgrade. I also want a bit of input. Will DDR500 or DDR600 presmably help my overclock. I know you guys can gimme a hand. I also want to keep it below 230 USD

When you say a bottleneck, what aspect of performance are you looking to increase?

DDR500 or DDR600 will usually overclock higher than DDR400 memory, but this won't affect your CPU overclock as you can just use a divider other than 1:1.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing, and its a pain in the ass for DDR500+ - espically for us A8N users I have found. A lot of the 2GB kits are using Samsung UCCC RAM chips, which do not like/are not liked by the A8N series motherboards

I really would like 2x1GB Ballistix DDR500 but nowhere I have seen sells it except overclockers.co.uk and I'm looking to buy in the US to (hopefully) save money. I was looking at this GigaRAM Mach1000, as they used Infineon chips, but they recently switched to UCCC as well.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

When you say a bottleneck, what aspect of performance are you looking to increase?

DDR500 or DDR600 will usually overclock higher than DDR400 memory, but this won't affect your CPU overclock as you can just use a divider other than 1:1.

i just want to upgrade my RAM performance. And since i want to get 2GB i may as well get a higher overclock with my ram as well, but i wasn't clear on if i would get a higher CPU clock.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

I am doing the exact same thing, and its a pain in the ass for DDR500+ - espically for us A8N users I have found. A lot of the 2GB kits are using Samsung UCCC RAM chips, which do not like/are not liked by the A8N series motherboards

I really would like 2x1GB Ballistix DDR500 but nowhere I have seen sells it except overclockers.co.uk and I'm looking to buy in the US to (hopefully) save money. I was looking at this GigaRAM Mach1000, as they used Infineon chips, but they recently switched to UCCC as well.

I would check froogle for the ballistix. Also, what are the best chips out there? I have TCCD, but i guess i am a n00b when it comes to memory.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

i just want to upgrade my RAM performance. And since i want to get 2GB i may as well get a higher overclock with my ram as well, but i wasn't clear on if i would get a higher CPU clock.

It really depends on what apps you want to improve performance for as to what is recommended. Eg. If you want to run SuperPi, benchmarks then high bandwidth modules are essential. If it's for gaming performance, high bandwidth/tight timings don't make much, if any difference, on new games at normal resolutions. However, moving to 2GB will really help cut out page file use and reduce that annoying stuttering.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
If you want a TCCD 2GB kit you are out of luck. That and BH-5 only comes in 256 and 512 flavours. The UCCC chips perform OK, just not in A8N motherboards.

Anandtech tested 3 (maybe 2, OCZ don't say what chips were in theirs) kits using Infineon chips with mixed results - http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2560

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I just upgraded to 2gb from my 1gb of TCCD. I got the G.skill HZ series posted above. I can't speak about how they work in an Asus board, but if I get a chance maybe I'll throw them in my HTPC and see if they work. Let me know if you guys want me to try to do that.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that sucks...like i said..i'm a memory n00b. So, BH-5 and TCCD only come small...dang...and the UCCC won;t work right with my board...is there no end to the crap....lol.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here's a good link. I know its a DFI forum, but it gives a lot of chip information on one page, about 1/3 down.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24719

In short, here's some 2gb non UCC RAM:

- Mushkin XP4000 REDLINE [2x1GB] (Infineon CE-6) [3-3-2-8]
Part number: 991493
- OCZ EB DDR PC-4000 Platinum Edition [2x1GB] (Infineon CE-6) [3-3-2-8]
Part number: OCZ5002048EBPE-K
- G.Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX [2x1GB] (Infineon CE-6) [2-3-2-5]
Part number: F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX

hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

here you go.

from the chart in page 2, i would get the Mushkin DDR500 which uses the Infineon C die or the Crucial Ballistix DDR500 (Micron) which Wesley got to DDR610 STABLE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts