Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded to a 4790K and a GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard and I am hitting low 80's in prime95 in less than one minute with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Am I one of the unlucky ones who got a defective chip? I've heard the there were bad batches of the 4790K released. I also tried running FAH and I was getting 70's in the same amount of time.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
The 212 isn't a great cooler.

BUT. That still sounds a little high. What paste are you using and how did you apply it?

·
Premium Member
6,441 Posts
I don't recommend using Prime95 for Haswell. It tends to overheat the chip. 70's for FAH sounds fine for a 4790k.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
just do normal everyday things with it...

why even bother with prime?

it's not a real representation of everyday computing.

fire up a game.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Honestly, I use IBT to see what kind of temperatures I'd get. Putting my fans to 100% and stressing the CPU, I'll subtract 15°C to create a thermal 'ceiling'. Basically, games or even rendering won't get that high on temps, so I know I can keep fans down a bit more + give it a real stress and I still won't get within 20°C of IBT.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't use P95 for testing. Stick to IBT or Cinebench (thats what I usually do).

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,791 Posts
You can use Prime95, but not version later than v26.6.
It is really not recommended neither by Intel neither by Asus to use Prime95 verions as 27.7, 27.9, 28.5 or 28.7.
They inject dangerous currents in motherboards and Haswell CPU's, which create also unrealistic high temperatures.

Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's test during 10mns is the standard test to check core temperatures on Haswell at full load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts