Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 5800x running tonight, and it seems awful toasty compared to my last rig (Intel i7-6800k @4.2Ghz). Everything is set to auto in bios, except enabling the XMP profile for my 3600Mhz memory and 1800 FCLK.

All the components are listed in my signature.

Cinebench R20 bench went to nearly 80°C. My old Intel build with this same 360 AIO barely broke 60°C. I didn't have a chance to try gaming yet.

Even doing basic things like downloading a steam game is causing temps up to 72°C, while idle temp is around 35°C. These abrupt temperature spikes are causing my radiator fans to spool up every time I do anything, and it's very obnoxious.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,076 Posts
tuning down PBO limits may help decrease your temps..I used to own one and I was just around the 70c-ish temperature boundaries since I am running a custom water loop..

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,938 Posts
Ryzen 3000/5000 runs hot. You can always tune for better temps, for instance you can lock a 4.6 static oc with 1.1-1.15 volts, your spikes will be gone and temps will be much lower. My old 5800X out of the box was boosting to 4.85, your temps seem normal.

I ran a custom water cooling kit and at stock it got around 70-74c during a cinebench run but my all core was a little over 4.6 and single core was 4.95.

·
Overclocker
2,734 Posts
These new cpus boost as high as possible within thermal/power/stability limits, so it is not surprising the chip spikes to high temperatures as the cores go from idle to load and back to idle. Everything sounds perfectly normal to me.

If you want lower temperatures, get a custom loop with liquid metal, or as other users posted, limit the boost in bios, but this may lower performance of course.

And yes, this is a completely different era of cpus (and gpus) compared to your 6800k, everything basically automatically overclocks itself to the max out of the box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
About the same temps I am getting with CB20. Playing ACV averages 64-68 on a 280 AIO. Does C States work on a all static 4.6?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 5800X gets into the 80s while gaming, and that's with the Arctic 360mm AIO. Up to 90C is within operating spec per AMD. I think the highest I've seen is 90C and then it throttles. This is presumably to give the new Ryzen 5000 series a higher thermal ceiling so you can get higher clocks. I came from a i7 6700K and was worried about the temps just like you. It's fine and normal. I set my cooler fan to run at a near constant RPM up to 90C and now I don't experience the annoying fan ramp ups anymore. Also, setting a core voltage offset to -.025V and messing around with Core Optimizer in the BIOS has helped bring down load temps, I haven't seen it hit 90C in quite a while. I would recommend playing around with those settings and strike a balance between clock/temps.

All in all, I'm very happy with the 5800X and it has been quite an upgrade for gaming from my 6700K!

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,526 Posts
My 5800X gets into the 80s while gaming, and that's with the Arctic 360mm AIO. Up to 90C is within operating spec per AMD. I think the highest I've seen is 90C and then it throttles. This is presumably to give the new Ryzen 5000 series a higher thermal ceiling so you can get higher clocks. I came from a i7 6700K and was worried about the temps just like you. It's fine and normal. I set my cooler fan to run at a near constant RPM up to 90C and now I don't experience the annoying fan ramp ups anymore. Also, setting a core voltage offset to -.025V and messing around with Core Optimizer in the BIOS has helped bring down load temps, I haven't seen it hit 90C in quite a while. I would recommend playing around with those settings and strike a balance between clock/temps.

All in all, I'm very happy with the 5800X and it has been quite an upgrade for gaming from my 6700K!
What voltages and amperage are you seeing in HWiNFO64 on the highest loads? I think the offset is wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What voltages and amperage are you seeing in HWiNFO64 on the highest loads? I think the offset is wise.
At stock the voltage ceiling is 1.50V, so with a -.025V offset that would make it 1.475V max. It usually bounces between 1.40 and 1.475V at idle. Here is the screenshot from a mutlthreaded Cinebench R20 run with my OC settings and curve optimizer. This is at 4.5 Ghz all core and 4.95 Ghz single core boost. The V offset does hamper some performance for lower temps, but performance loss is negligible in games. Without the offset, my single core will reach 5.05 Ghz.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I thought I had a bad thermal paste application or something. I had some time to mess with bios and finally found the option to let me lower the AIO pump from 100%.

Also did a quick fan curve to run close to silent as possible under 45°C with a gradual fan curve up to 75°C. Now it doesn't sound like it's going to explode every time I launch an app.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,526 Posts
At stock the voltage ceiling is 1.50V, so with a -.025V offset that would make it 1.475V max. It usually bounces between 1.40 and 1.475V at idle. Here is the screenshot from a mutlthreaded Cinebench R20 run with my OC settings and curve optimizer. This is at 4.5 Ghz all core and 4.95 Ghz single core boost. The V offset does hamper some performance for lower temps, but performance loss is negligible in games. Without the offset, my single core will reach 5.05 Ghz.

View attachment 2480082
I suppose that's not bad at all. 117.925W / 89A = 1.325v

·
Guru
1,152 Posts
These abrupt temperature spikes are causing my radiator fans to spool up every time I do anything, and it's very obnoxious.
Create custom fan profile if you haven't already and set higher temp hysteresis (like 10-12C). This should mostly get rid of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts