Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sapphire vapor-x 7970ghz arrived today, hooray would be my usual reaction but not this time.

After installing it I have come across a few issues, probably driver related.
When I am using my desktop there is massive flicker horizontally along the screen whenever I scroll a page down etc. (in firefox)
Also when I go into youtube the GPU freezes up and I have to do a full restart.

Does anybody know what could be causing this?
I've done a full clean of my drivers and am on 13.1

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you aznever, I gave those a try but the problem persists.
I will revert to 13.1 release for now.

The problem seems to be the same as my 6950 used to have a long time back in that the GPU throttles back between 2D and 3D clocks, right now I can run youtube and everything without tearing as long as I have it set to 1051mhz core using AB.
Is there a way to disable it downclocking?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was able to find something about power throttling from toms' hardwareforum.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352545-33-7970-throttling-problem

"bystander 05-07-2012 at 07:29:31 AM

Best answer
If you look at the first tab in MSI Afterburners settings (it may only be in the Beta version), you'll see "Power Control Properties" at the bottom. That allows your card to draw more power than the PCIe spec normally allows. In the CCC, if you overclock there, there is also a PowerTune setting that does the same thing.

Assuming you have a PSU that can handle the extra stress put on it, you will not be throttled if you increase the percentage. "

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
I disable powerplay mode by enabled unofficial overclocking through MSI afterburner. Mine always stays in 3d clock mode then and never ran into any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.