Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago I read somewhere that AMD would be coming out with a new socket CPU. The new MB for this socket will take DDR2 ram.
Any one have any more info on this??

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiendofmine

the AMD m2 socket is what its called

Socket M2 is now know as AM2.

But yeah, it is going to support DDR2, and rumored to support quad core chips.

·
Banned
230 Posts
with X2 5000+s and FX 62 procs and Athlon 5000+, those are the best processors comming out for the M2 socket, and ive also heard that you can buy an adapter to put on your skt939 mobo so you can use the m2 socket processors.

now + rep me. please

·
Banned
230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Socket M2 is now know as AM2.

But yeah, it is going to support DDR2, and rumored to support quad core chips.

i thought the "A" just stood for amd

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
an...adaptor? i think thats a crock...the board has to be able to support the processor and no 939 board supports 940s...-_-

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

an...adaptor? i think thats a crock...the board has to be able to support the processor and no 939 board supports 940s...-_-

as far as i read the extra pin is just there so ppl wont try to stuff it in a 939 board.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It wont be an adapter but an addin board as the Asrock board has a upgrade slot dedicated for a new CPU socket.
i think its still M2 and i think AM2 will be for mobile chips.

·
Registered
434 Posts
*****, my brother's 939 system is already obsolete. Gotta love the computer industry.

I won't be building a new system (except from old spare parts) until the socket following AM2 haha. No worries for me.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiendofmine

with X2 5000+s and FX 62 procs and Athlon 5000+, those are the best processors comming out for the M2 socket, and ive also heard that you can buy an adapter to put on your skt939 mobo so you can use the m2 socket processors.

now + rep me. please

Just FYI rep begging is against the rules.

But really, is there going to be a adapter that works? DDR and DDR2 are not the same thing, and AM2 has a base HT of 333, not 200. There are alot of differences that adapter has to compensate for the AM2 processor, like making it work with DDR and HT of 333.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I heard that the first AM2 mobos and CPUs are coming out in March, along with the new GFX card from Nvidia. I won't be getting an AM2 until at least next year when the prices start to drop, but damn...these things sound awesome.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is crazy how new stuff just keep coming and coming and your sistem getting older and older. I just ordered some ram for this rig and from what i read, it wont be usefull for the new amd which sucks. Pc upgrading whats getting in my mind like an addiction which i couldn't stay way from. I need a new PC!!! This one is too old now (9 months old).:withstupi

·
Banned
230 Posts
more like a riser, and is it really mobil? and sckt 940? because if so then its probably a server proc. because sckt940 is typically a server proc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts