Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Asrock X99m Extreme4 mobo and everything seems to be working great, but when I turn the system on, everything will power up for about 2 seconds, then shut down and power back up again before it fully turns on.

Why is it doing this and how to stop it from doing it? Just doesn't seem normal/right.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Have you double checked all the plugged in cables inside the computer?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes all cables seem to be secure. And it doesn't happen all the time. It's really weird because it doesn't seem like it shorts out, just powers up for 2 seconds, shuts down for 2 seconds and then reboots full power.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone posted this as a reply to my thread on the Asrock forums:

"Happens to me too with Z170 gaming k6 during cold boot. It's a fake boot. Then everithing goes fine"

This seems to be what's happening to me.

What is the cause of this & what is the fix?

For the record it hasn't been happening the last several times I've booted up the computer.

Is this something that possibly has gone away, or will continue until i do/fix something?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was posted by a moderator over on Asrock forums:

"If the system is disconnected from the power outlet (or PSU is switched off) then there will be a quick power on self test on the next cold boot. This is just the board's safety features checking the system before allowing post. "

But this seems to happen even when I do a hard reset with the power button - is this all normal?

Is this something new to all mobos, or just something Asrock is doing?

It didn't seem to do the quick cold boot for awhile, but now even on basic shut down it seems to be doing it again?

Is there a way to disable this feature so it just boots normal?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,272 Posts
My R5E does a similar thing reasonably often. After a full shutdown, but never disconnected from power, it starts, displays a few very quick POST codes, then powers down, and then boots up normally. I am not sure what causes it, sometimes I suspect DDR4 training but who knows.

I have never looked into disabling it, there is probably some reason for it and it doesn't hurt anything. Is there a reason you don't like it?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is DDR4 training?

And I just don't like it, I don't know why other than never had a mobo have this feature before and I'd rather just have it boot up normally instead of this cold boot startup/shut down. But I suppose if it's a safety feature it's a good thing?

Another post from the Asrock forums:

"BCLK at 200 or above and this will occur.

It is operating as designed."

What does BCLK at 200 or above mean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts