Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This thread will be a resource where users can share what aftermarket cooling solutions work on their card. Often it is hard to be certain whether an aftermarket cooler or waterblock will work on your own card. This database aims to make this easier by pooling community experience. If you had a problem with a cooler please explain what the issue was. If your card is non-reference please include the part number of the card in the 'Fitment Issue Solution' section.

Please fill in the form here in order to appear on the database.

<!-- AME Google Spreadsheet -->
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t145TYl5vx0qiJ4HBfrMMcg&w=300&h=1000
Google Spreadsheet

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Excellent idea for a thread, dude.

However, I have one suggestion: You should add in your temps for before you installed the aftermarket cooler, so people have an idea of the temperature decrease that they'll be getting.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good idea but i think you should include a before and after temp thingy and/or ambient temperatures for comparison after all getting 17º stock cooling in ambients of -10 is no big acheivement getting 30ºc in ambients of 40 is a huge acheivement

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

Excellent idea for a thread, dude.

However, I have one suggestion: You should add in your temps for before you installed the aftermarket cooler, so people have an idea of the temperature decrease that they'll be getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle-reece
View Post

Good idea but i think you should include a before and after temp thingy and/or ambient temperatures for comparison after all getting 17º stock cooling in ambients of -10 is no big acheivement getting 30ºc in ambients of 40 is a huge acheivement

Great minds think alike

I did think of this however, users such as myself may not be able to remember their stock temperatures, so I neglected to include it. Furthermore including it would introduce a horizontal scroll-bar which is not too aesthetically pleasing.

Nevertheless, don't hesitate to begin submitting your data, the more data submitted the better the resource will be

·
Registered
779 Posts
Theres already a horizontal scroll bar for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FWIW, I posted the info from my last test run. While I've tested my card at 1ghz core clock and the GPU temps didn't get much higher, the VRMs got too hot very quickly with the heatsink I use (less than 5 minutes of being load tested). So really, an accurate "Cooling Database" should have entries for VRM cooling as well.

I only say this because my 925/1100 overclock test temperatures didn't push my T-Rad2 nearly as far as it can go in terms of cooling performance.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I did an inexpensive mod to help my two Sapphire HD4870s. I took two 120mm fans, A Rosewill (w/blue led) and a Noctua and stacked them. I just used felcro instead of screws. Then I cut out the fan of an Ultra Kaze and used the housing as a fan shroud. Then I took a piece of tin ducting I got at HomeDepot, and cut it 6" long. Carefully drilled three holes in the shroud, placed the ducting inside, and attached with small screws. I then stacked that on to the two fans and duct taped the three to seal and strengthen. I then used lengthened screws to mount to the top fan slot. This alows a strong, directed air flow to blow directly on and over the Xfired 4870s. My temps were around 74c with the fan at 70% while folding. Now they are at 62c @ 55% fan speed. Cooler and quieter. Those little fans do wind up. I will take some pics the next time I open my case.

It was cheap and was able to use what was laying around.

·
Just a random internet
1,349 Posts
Just chimed in with what all I had to do with my Sapphire HD4830 to get the Accelero S1 Rev 2 to fit properly.

• Rep+
Reactions: coffeejunky

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Thermalright T-RAD² on HD 4870 with no issues, it will be a miracle if this fits on a HD 5850/70.

• Rep+

·
Registered
80 Posts
The T-Rad should fit without any issue since the 4 holes around the gpu socket are the same spacing as the 4800 series, but all the other mounting holes on the pcb are different.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
This is very cool, cj! Keep up the great work! I added my info, BTW.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
just submitted. Good thread. I wish it was fully filled out a week ago when i ordered my cooler. would've saved a lot of research time. I hope i help someone who has the same dilemma

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
You need to make it so users can put in the model number, cause my XXX editions i have no idea if they are reference and thats stopping me from getting a new cooler for it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
You need to make it so users can put in the model number, cause my XXX editions i have no idea if they are reference and thats stopping me from getting a new cooler for it.
Open up your card if you have a red plate and the heatsink is not attached to the red plate, then you have the reference. You might be able to see it without opening the card.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I AM TEH LAW GIVAH View Post
what aftermarket cooler would your recommend for a 4890?
scythe musashi. its like $40 and it cools wonderfully. make sure to keep the red plate on and use the copper spacer.

·
Iconoclast
30,777 Posts
Going to mount a Zalman VF2000 to my 5850, along with Enzotech sinks on the fets.

Should have results by late next week. Going for 1000/1250 with >1.3v GPU.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG363
View Post

scythe musashi. its like $40 and it cools wonderfully. make sure to keep the red plate on and use the copper spacer.

Hmm is there any cheaper quieter solutions?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts