Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to buy a new video card in a while. I saw a great deal posted in this forum a few days ago, that I'm kicking myself for not buying.
$159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-813-_-Product
I really did like the card because it had x4 outputs. Should I bother finding this card or something similar, or would it be more economical/better to find one card with x2 outputs and crossfire them?

I apologize for my ignorance when it comes to video cards, as I do realize this. I'm trying to learn as I go....

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
What do you need all the outputs for? If you dont need them, pick up a 5770 or 5830.
I kind of have myself a collection of x3 19 inch LCD screens. I'm going to pick up one more or output to my tv.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That 4850x2 is great (I had one a while back) and run very cool, but it is pretty noisy. Also, it is not likely that Newegg will have them again, as those cards have been discontinued for a long time now.

Within that budget, you have two options: either go get a used 4850x2 or 4890 (slightly slower, but has the advantage of being single-gpu card, so greater compatibility), and if you need more than 3 display outputs than you'll need to go 5770, which WILL be slower than a 4850x2 for sure, but nothing you can do about it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathclaw View Post
i'd say go for 5850
it has many connectors as mentioned above, and it is best bang for buck
You guys are forgetting that you can only use 2 digital outputs on the 5xxx series at a time.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedSushi87 View Post
Both of those have only x2 HDMI outputs?
x1 HDMI
x2 DVI
x1 Display port

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Do you game on your computer? If not, you could pick up another 9800 and run your 4 monitors off of that.
You'd recommend that I try to SLI with two nVIDIA cards off of an ATI AMD board?

Doesn't that require some CMOS modification? I'm kind of weary about that....is it safe?

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedSushi87 View Post
You'd recommend that I try to SLI with two nVIDIA cards off of an ATI AMD board?

Doesn't that require some CMOS modification? I'm kind of weary about that....is it safe?
You wouldn't need to run SLI. SLI combines their GPU power for one application. You could just have 2 graphics adapters and have them each running a pair of monitors. It should be independent of your chipset. No SLI needed.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
for running more than 2 monitors this card would be great......i have the VisionTek 3870X2 that has 4 dvi outputs and i'm running 4 monitors off of it......that 4850X2 should game pretty well too and would be way faster that you 9800GT........if you REALLY need to run 3 or 4 monitors then get it......if not then pick up a 5XXX series as others have suggested

1 - 20 of 21 Posts