Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've decided it's time a for new high-end PC build. Between new work involving video editing that's laboring my current machine, and given it's nearly 4 years since I built this system, it feels like the right time. Since it's been 4 years, I'm rather behind the times on motherboard and CPU tech and best combinations, so I'd appreciate advice on my draft build list, below. You'll note I haven't picked a mobo, CPU or accompanying RAM yet, but have at least first choices on other parts. Overall budget is 5-7k, so I'm not looking to skimp. I'd like to build something I don't have to think about upgrading for some time, apart from the GPUs.

Use case: Digital production using software like Articulate Storyline, Camtasia, Adobe Presenter, more and more video editing which is starting to tax my current machine, and lots of big multi-tasking, including big databases in SQL and Access. Lots of image editing. Right now I have Outlook, Excel, Dreamweaver, Access and Storyline open with about a dozen browser tabs and multiple office documents, which is a good example of a normal work day. Beyond that, lots of gaming at 1440p including across all three monitors for flight sims and racing sims. I may upgrade these three monitors to 4k, too.

Mainly I'm looking for advice on:

1. Best Mobo/CPU/RAM combos in budget and use case?
2. If I opt for the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 drive as boot drive, is there any point in the Intel 750
3. Need to be sure mobo/CPU has adequate bandwidth for the 2 VPUs and M.2 and Sound card?
4. Thoughts on cases, including others not listed?
5. I intend to air cool as it's always been good enough for me and I'm nervous of messing with liquid cooling. However, are any of the closed loop CPU coolers like the Swiftech H220-X both worth the cost, perform well and safe? The idea of leaks has always put me off liquid cooling.
6. What are thoughts on the best/quietest case fans these days?

All info/thoughts/advice appreciated.

Provisional parts list:
Case 1 - Cooler Master COSMOS II Custom - $500.00
Case 2 - SilverStone Temjin TJ11 - $590.00
Case 3 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE - $220
Mobo - TBD
CPU - TBD
RAM - TBD
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti - $620.00
GPU 2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti - $620.00
Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 - $110.00
Fans - TBD
DVD Drive - ASUS DRW-24F1ST - $22.00
M.2 Internal SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB - $327.00
PCIe drive - Intel 750 SSD - $1,040.00
HD - WD Black 6TB - $308.00
HD 2 - WD Black 6TB - $308.00
Sound - Asus Essense STX II - $260.00
PSU - FirePower ZX 1250W - $274.00
PSU 2 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Titanium $280
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Thought of using a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 DAC and AMP combo? I think these are a better step up from sound cards.

Edit: What does GTA and VPU stand for?

The Swiftech H220-X is a hiqh quality CLC (Closed Loop Cooler) and performs well. It is a lot safer to use than those other CLC coolers such as the Cooler Master and Corsair CLC / AIO / Closed Loop coolers. It's also expandable and customizable as said on their product page.

Here's a case I really like:

Phanteks ENTHOO PRO M - Acryllic Window Edition
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html

Cases are really up to personal preference, you may or may not like this kind of case.
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
39,869 Posts
The PSU you picked is ancient and a massive ripoff as well, dont bother with that old OCZ rubbish get an EVGA SuperNova G2/P2 or a Corsair RMx those are newer better cheaper and more quiet.
Its also way overkill you dont need more then a 750-850 watt for the system in the OP.

If you are only going to have one card then you dont more then a good 550 watt PSU.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Crowgasm

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Thought of using a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 DAC and AMP combo? I think these are a better step up from sound cards.

Edit: What does GTA and VPU stand for?

The Swiftech H220-X is a hiqh quality CLC (Closed Loop Cooler) and performs well. It is a lot safer to use than those other CLC coolers such as the Cooler Master and Corsair CLC / AIO / Closed Loop coolers. It's also expandable and customizable as said on their product page.

Here's a case I really like:

Phanteks ENTHOO PRO M - Acryllic Window Edition
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html

Cases are really up to personal preference, you may or may not like this kind of case.
Hi Benjamen,

thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the Schiit Modi 2 nor Magni 2 DAC/AMP, no. Thank you. I'll research those and see. I have a Xonar Essence in two systems and with the headphone amp I've been satisfied with audio quality, to date. I have a separate giant old amp and CD player (even a turntable) for my excessive music collection so it's not a prime concern, but you've opened the path to new possible gadgetry!

Typos on the GTA/VPU. I meant GTX on the video cards and GPU. Fixed the original post.

I do like that Enthoo Pro M case! Especially with the window panel. My only reservation is it's a mid-tower, rather than giant full size, which I prefer. My current system is in a custom NZXT 820 and it weighs more than my 10yo daughter, which I like, somehow.
smile.gif


Still, looking more closely at Phanteks cases now. They look well put together and very flexible. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The PSU you picked is ancient and a massive ripoff as well, dont bother with that old OCZ rubbish get an EVGA SuperNova G2/P2 or a Corsair RMx those are newer better cheaper and more quiet.
Its also way overkill you dont need more then a 750-850 watt for the system in the OP.

If you are only going to have one card then you dont more then a good 550 watt PSU.
Shika,

thank you for the info. I've read a few articles re: long term PSU durability on load and the apparent wisdom of going somewhat overkill on PSU wattage. Running my provisional build spec (noting I've yet to settle on a mobo/cpu/ram combo) at exTreme Power Supply Calculator, after all the peripherals and bits and pieces, it recommended a 950W PSU. Ergo, my choice. I'm inclined to stick with the power but will look at the brands you recommended. I've had only good experiences to date with EVGA products so I'll likely opt for that. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

which video editing tools?
Hi Phoenix,

a bunch of different productivity software with built in video editors, such as Camtasia, Articulate Storyline 2 and Corel Video Studio 7. Also dealing with a lot of very large file size, very high res commercial video content. These files are several GB and 1080p up through UHD-1. Needlessly high, frankly, but I'm having to work with them and scale them down. My current system is finally showing showdown when having to render and especially publish these projects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Thought of using a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 DAC and AMP combo? I think these are a better step up from sound cards.
Hi Benjamen,

I just did some research on the Schiit Audio hardware you recommended. I'm curious: I currently have a Xonar Essence sound card in this PC, as I mentioned, which has a headphone amp built in. The PC is connected to the optical audio in port on a Yamaha AV Receiver RX V-475, along with my 2nd PC and an Xbox One, an X-Box 360, PS3 and mp3 player, etc. This lets me run everything through the same box with a single headphone jack, for convenience, and the sound quality isn't bad. I also have desk and floor speakers and a sub-woofer running off from that.

Do you see the Schiit Modi/Magni 2 providing some kind of upgrade on that, in terms quality or flexibility? The Schiit gear looks better equipped to drive the speakers, and better speakers too, but I'm not sure they have a model that is going to allow hook up of all these disparate devices in the same convenient way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
39,869 Posts
First off please dont multi post use the edit function or use multi quote.

And second dont bother with any of the so called online calculators they are all wrong and a total waste of time so dont bother you have been lied to.
So once again the PSU calculators are a bunch of crap and a total waste of time.

Last in case you are not aware 80 plus has nothing to do with quality rated output or stability of any kind its efficiency.
There is no reason to get a T2 unless you live in a place where power cost a lot or if the system is going to have be loaded all the time

Why 80 PLUS® is Irrelevant to You When Buying a PSU
On Efficiency

$280 for a 1000 watt PSU is a ripoff.
And in case you are not aware of it EVGA does not make the PSU´s they sell nor does Corsair and almost everyone else so you are not getting a PSU made by EVGA by getting a T2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

First off please dont multi post use the edit function or use multi quote.

And second dont bother with any of the so called online calculators they are all wrong and a total waste of time so dont bother you have been lied to.
So once again the PSU calculators care a bnuch of crap and a total waste of time.

Last in case you are not aware 80 plus has nothing to do with quality rated output or stability of any kind its efficiency.
There is no reason to get a T2 unless you live in a place where power cost a lot or if the system is going to have be loaded all the time

Why 80 PLUS® is Irrelevant to You When Buying a PSU
On Efficiency

$280 for a 1000 watt PSU is a ripoff.
And in case you are not aware of it EVGA does not make the PSU´s they sell nor does Corsair and almost everyone else so you are not getting a PSU made by EVGA by getting a T2.
Hmm, apologies on the 'multi post' - I'll 'multi quote' in the future. Otherwise, I'll assume something was lost in translation here, in terms of timbre.
smile.gif


If you feel the T2 is unnecessary (I must admit I didn't know what the T2 designation represented) then what model would you recommend at the 1000-1250W range and why?
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
39,869 Posts
The EVGA SuperNova G2 but if a hybrid fan mode is a must you need to move up to the P2.
Hybrid fan mode means the fan will be off at lower loads and wont spin which means no noise untill the fan starts to spin.

1000-1050 watts comparison thread
1200-1350 watts comparison thread

The G2 series above 850 watt does not have hybrid fan mode but the P2 series does.
The T2 series are really not worth it unless you live somewhere where power cost a lot or if you have the system under heavy load most of the time.
 

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
There arent any comparison on cpu. At video editing with those programs but Haswell-E or Broadwell-E might be the best choice,a 5820k or 5960x
You could hold with the 780ti and upgrade with Pascal/Polaris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The EVGA SuperNova G2 but if a hybrid fan mode is a must you need to move up to the P2.
Hybrid fan mode means the fan will be off at lower loads and wont spin which means no noise untill the fan starts to spin.

1000-1050 watts comparison thread
1200-1350 watts comparison thread

The G2 series above 850 watt does not have hybrid fan mode but the P2 series does.
The T2 series are really not worth it unless you live somewhere where power cost a lot or if you have the system under heavy load most of the time.
Good info - thank you. I'll look at more models tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Phoenix
There arent any comparison on cpu. At video editing with those programs but Haswell-E or Broadwell-E might be the best choice,a 5820k or 5960x
You could hold with the 780ti and upgrade with Pascal/Polaris
Phoenix - thanks. Any thoughts on best mobos to pair with a 5820k or 5960x? I'm assuming I need an x99 LGA2011v3 board for the 40 pcie lanes? I'm tentatively looking at this: Asus Rampage V Extreme (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/specifications/). I haven't researched this part much yet so any info/advice on alternatives is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, on the motherboard, which is my main last piece to pick, I'm stuck wavering between the MSI Gaming X99A Godlike, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130878) and the aforementioned ASUS Rampage V Extreme (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132262). Roughly the same price and features but I'm getting a hinky feeling about the sheer number of poor reviews on each, in terms of setup and QC problems. Always hard to tell how many of those are user error, but it's making me think twice and look for other options. Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowgasm View Post

Pretty close to what I'm looking at. What made you opt for the MSI X99A MPOWER?
I liked the layout and color scheme, I didn't need the supercooling features offered on the Rampage, and I had good luck with my last MSI board.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top