Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is so far what I'm looking at for my new build, I can't find any other cases that really do it for me as well as the TJ11 and FT02 (My room mate/best friend is getting my current PC, can't have two FT02's in the same room.
)

Tell me what you think!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Well, the PSU is major overkill. Even a quality 600-650W power supply could handle this entire system. AMD recommends a 500W power supply to power a system with a single 6950 in it, so that means they would recommend a 600-650W for two (but they're referring to peak-rated units, and I only shop for continuous-rated units):

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#3

Here are 5 that I recommend (sorted by price):
The 650W SeaSonic X-Series is the best 650W on the market and it is fully modular. However, 650W XFX "XXX" Edition is right on par with Corsair's HX650 and it is just as modular as it (not fully, but still very modular). The 650W TruePower New is right on par too, but it is only partially modular.

The 620W SeaSonic M12II is modular too and is another really good choice.

If it were up to me, and if looks were not important, then the XFX "XXX" Edition wins. However, if I were doing very extreme overclocking (like using extreme, sub-zero cooling), then I'd choose the SeaSonic X-Series due to its extreme quality.

Although, for maximum value, practicality and looks, I think the winners are the 650W TruePower New, 620W SeaSonic M12II, and even the HX650.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Primary Drives are 2 500GB caviar Blacks in Raid 0.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coz_411
View Post

Primary Drives are 2 500GB caviar Blacks in Raid 0.

Cool, Besides the PSU which is overkill as mentioned above you good to go...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I might drop down to a 750 watt Corsair Gold.

I'm also probably going to get another FT02 instead, I can't justify spending so much money on a case.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
FTo2 is amazing...also get Spinpoints F3 and some better cooler...like D14

·
Registered
911 Posts
Buying a powerful PSU now will save him money in the end, seeing as he's inevitably going to upgrade in a few years or less, which means a 600w-650w PSU won't be enough. I did the same thing. Do the math.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
How long will it be before you need the capability of your HX850? You're lucky to use half of its capacity right now (it would certainly take a little bit of effort).

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might end up going tri-fire sometime mid year, but I don't see the point in that.

I only chose the 850 watt to give me some headroom for OC's and lighting and what not. If you think I will be safe at around 650 watts then thats great, the 850 watt PSU is only $25 more than the 750 though.

I'm certainly not tight on funds at the moment either, I just received a $6000 scholarship and I'm getting another $4000 in a month.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Oh. Well, even with an OC and a bunch of lights and stuff, a quality 650W is still enough.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Oh. Well, even with an OC and a bunch of lights and stuff, a quality 650W is still enough.

I can't seem to find a Corsair 650 Gold on the site I use, I'm really keen on one because the cables are flat and black, I don't like the multi-coloured stuff that my current PSU has.

Two Cables, do you have any other input for my build as well?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coz_411
View Post

I can't seem to find a Corsair 650 Gold on the site I use, I'm really keen on one because the cables are flat and black, I don't like the multi-coloured stuff that my current PSU has.

Two Cables, do you have any other input for my build as well?

The HX650 has flat black cables, and it's a very solid unit.

Unfortunately, I don't know what else can be said about everything else.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

The HX650 has flat black cables, and it's a very solid unit.

Unfortunately, I don't know what else can be said about everything else.

Yeah I just checked it out and it does have the cables I'm after, I might end up getting this unit as it's about $100 cheaper, thanks Two Cables.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Aw man, you're welcome!

• Rep+
Reactions: Coz_411
1 - 16 of 16 Posts