Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need help! just assembled my computer, went fine for the most part, I booted it up and installed Windows 10 on it. It wouldn't recognize my hard drive, I learned I had to move the SATA connections from A1 and A2, to SATA3_0 and SATA3_1, so I did. Still nothing, so I looked at my old computer, and saw that the SSD was in SATA3_0 and HDD in SATA3_1, so I swapped them, now when I turn it on it beeps 30 times, then just sits there with the Asrock logo, and the Windows 10 loading icon, but never gets anywhere. What do I do?

The build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MJQZ8Y

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Try process of elimination. Remove one item at time (drives, ram, cpu, etc) and see if you can narrow what is causing the codes.

Does the mobo manual list beep codes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the beep codes online, but they only go up to 11, I get 30 beeps. I finally got Windows 10 reinstalled, but the beeps still happen when I turn it on, and the hard drive is listed as unknown and not initialized.

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
I found the beep codes online, but they only go up to 11, I get 30 beeps. I finally got Windows 10 reinstalled, but the beeps still happen when I turn it on, and the hard drive is listed as unknown and not initialized.
Don't really know about the extra beeps, but I've heard that running the Windows memory diagnostic tool in win10 may help your hdd be finally recognised in disk management..

Worth a shot...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't really know about the extra beeps, but I've heard that running the Windows memory diagnostic tool in win10 may help your hdd be finally recognised in disk management..

Worth a shot...
Tried it, still the same, except now it shows the 3TB HDD as 3.86GB.

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Is the boot drive (SSD?) working correctly now? Do the beeps still occur if the HDD is disconnected? If possible, you might verify the HDD works on another computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
has the boot drive had a partition before? or been used as a boot drive previously? perhaps it hasn't been formatted properly if so. Had something similar happen before.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
you might want to go into your BIOS and verify if your motherboard is set up for AHCI / IDE or whatever it was in the other PC.

that would be helpful. I'm pretty sure that's the issue your facing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
has the boot drive had a partition before? or been used as a boot drive previously? perhaps it hasn't been formatted properly if so. Had something similar happen before.
It has, I initially installed Windows 10, then I switched around the SATA ports because it couldn't find the HDD, then it wouldn't get into Windows, just sat there loading, it eventually started diagnosing the problem, and it gave me some options, I chose to reset and reinstall. So it starts clearing the drive and reboots to reinstall, but nothing ever happens. A bit of shuffling with the SATA ports again, and I was able to reinstall Windows, when selecting the drives, I just deleted the allocated drive and the partition, should I have formated?

EDIT:
Is the boot drive (SSD?) working correctly now? Do the beeps still occur if the HDD is disconnected? If possible, you might verify the HDD works on another computer.
I just tried disconnecting the HDD, boots up super fast with no beeps.

you might want to go into your BIOS and verify if your motherboard is set up for AHCI / IDE or whatever it was in the other PC.

that would be helpful. I'm pretty sure that's the issue your facing
Just checked, it is set to AHCI.

Also, I was chatting with someone on Discord last night who said that my partition doesn't look quite right, that there being only 30% available space seems wrong. https://i.imgur.com/uDIEW3C.jpg

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
It has, I initially installed Windows 10, then I switched around the SATA ports because it couldn't find the HDD, then it wouldn't get into Windows, just sat there loading, it eventually started diagnosing the problem, and it gave me some options, I chose to reset and reinstall. So it starts clearing the drive and reboots to reinstall, but nothing ever happens. A bit of shuffling with the SATA ports again, and I was able to reinstall Windows, when selecting the drives, I just deleted the allocated drive and the partition, should I have formated?[/url]
I'm also thinking along the lines of GhostSnacks' post. Even though you already deleted the existing partition, if you don't have any data on the drive to lose it's worth a short to reformat.

The curious thing to me is that the mobo is throwing beep codes with the drive installed. I've had hard drives fail before, but never recognized by the mobo like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm also thinking along the lines of GhostSnacks' post. Even though you already deleted the existing partition, if you don't have any data on the drive to lose it's worth a short to reformat.

The curious thing to me is that the mobo is throwing beep codes with the drive installed. I've had hard drives fail before, but never recognized by the mobo like that.
I have nothing to lose on the SSD, so I'll try to reformat. How exactly should I do it? Boot up the Windows 10 installation, when it comes to selecting the drive to install to, I delete the small partition and do I then format the drive, instead of deleting?

EDIT:
Alright, so I just tried reinstalling Windows, at the disk selection I deleted both partitions, I hope that's what I was supposed to do. Unfortunately things are the exact same, Disk Management looks the exact same as the picture I linked earlier, and when I plugged in the HDD, slow start up and 30 beeps, just like before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have nothing to lose on the SSD, so I'll try to reformat. How exactly should I do it? Boot up the Windows 10 installation, when it comes to selecting the drive to install to, I delete the small partition and do I then format the drive, instead of deleting?

EDIT:
Alright, so I just tried reinstalling Windows, at the disk selection I deleted both partitions, I hope that's what I was supposed to do. Unfortunately things are the exact same, Disk Management looks the exact same as the picture I linked earlier, and when I plugged in the HDD, slow start up and 30 beeps, just like before.
do you have another system you could put the drive in? you can format it from windows disk management if so. super painful when this stuff happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you have another system you could put the drive in? you can format it from windows disk management if so. super painful when this stuff happens.
I do, I can try to put it in my old computer. This is my first time building a computer too, so it really ******* sucks that something went wrong.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I do, I can try to put it in my old computer. This is my first time building a computer too, so it really ******* sucks that something went wrong.
My first build was a PIII 600 with 192MB of PC133 CAS2 RAM, a Geforce 256, and a SB Live! I've been doing this for a while - one or two of them have given me trouble (including not turning on).

Keep working the problem and we'll talk you through it. The important thing is not to get upset as it's when you're more likely to make mistakes.

Since you got into windows successfully, you don't have any serious issues. Try only leaving the boot SSD installed and see if you have issues. If you do, then can you look at what the disk management console reports for SMART status? If the SSD is the issue this may shed some light on the situation.

Also can you provide full system specs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first build was a PIII 600 with 192MB of PC133 CAS2 RAM, a Geforce 256, and a SB Live! I've been doing this for a while - one or two of them have given me trouble (including not turning on).

Keep working the problem and we'll talk you through it. The important thing is not to get upset as it's when you're more likely to make mistakes.

Since you got into windows successfully, you don't have any serious issues. Try only leaving the boot SSD installed and see if you have issues. If you do, then can you look at what the disk management console reports for SMART status? If the SSD is the issue this may shed some light on the situation.

Also can you provide full system specs?

The PC is with a work friend of my dad's currently, he's the one that built my pc's in the past, so I hope he can figure out the problem.

If I only leave the SSD in, it boots with no problems.

As for the system specs, do you mean this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vm99J

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The PC is with a work friend of my dad's currently, he's the one that built my pc's in the past, so I hope he can figure out the problem.

If I only leave the SSD in, it boots with no problems.

As for the system specs, do you mean this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vm99J
Then it's clear your problem is the HDD. How did you format it? Do you have AHCI enabled?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Then it's clear your problem is the HDD. How did you format it? Do you have AHCI enabled?
AHCI is indeed enabled. I didn't format it, I installed W10 with the HDD disconnected, and once I connected it, is when the trouble started. https://i.imgur.com/WOSxy1P.jpg It looked like this when it was connected, in addition to the 30 beeps at a slow start up, and in the BIOS it showed as the product number, ST3000DM008 instead of the name, Seagate Barracuda 3TB. At one point it did show a size in the Disk Management, but it said 3.86GB.

EDIT:

Alright, so my dad's friend confirmed it, the HDD is not working properly, thanks to anyone who helped.

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Glad you were able to get the issue figured out. Downside - toasted hard drive. Upside - buying new parts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts