Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title said, im buying a new rig. I just sold my main rig and going to use that money towards a new rig. Please give any suggestions or opinions. Thanks!

Heres the item list:

eVGA 780i FTW LGA775
e8600/q9450/q9650 (gonna play around with these to see which performs better for what i need)
G.Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR2
Seagate 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA HD
Corsair TX750 PSU
Xigmatek S-1283 with bolt down kit
eVGA GTX260
Lian Li PC-7F
Samsung 22x dvd burner SATA
Sunbeam Rhoebus fan controller (oh my gosh, these LEDs are like strobe lights. so bright. any suggestions on a different one around same price ?)

Currently price tag for everything above except the xigmatek heatsink (not bolt down kit), its 1053.12 before $90 MIR. heatsink is like 38 bux after shipping with $15 mir. final cost as of now would be around $989?? last time i calculated. im willing to go over budget a LITTLE bit if the change is a considerable change.

i have the processors already. rest needs to be bought. I have a $1000 budget. I can spend a little more for the mean time prior to rebate return. But i want the final cost to be around $1000.

Thx

*edit* oh i dont need monitor, keyboard/mouse. Using my 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC and previous hardware. Only sold tower.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Sythe Kaze master fan controller, the interface is clear but not too bright, and fairly well constructed.

If you're mostly gaming on it, I'd just go with a E8400 and hope for a E0 revision for an easy 4 GHz.

I think the XFX allows you to overclock their vid cards without voiding the warranty which might be something to look into.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm. new is expensive. woulda got zalman one. open box from newegg is considerable though.

im not sure if im gonna be gaming. sure ill play some games but mostly just multitasking.

i think its been said that evga has a better warranty overall. think they allow both overclocking and changing of heatsink to aftermarket without voiding warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gah prices went up a little today. :[ xD

question about video card. i read some news articles some fellow OCN members posted and said new cards were coming out as well as a price drop. Any prediction when this will occur? i dont wanna buy the gtx260 and have it drop like 50 bux :[ where i coulda got the 216 core for the price i got the gtx260 for... or maybe get a better smaller die card for the same price or something.

oh also, anyone have any suggestions on the ram? or is the one i picked good?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well if you buy an EVGA you could just step up if new cards come out within the 90 days. So if your budget allows for it I say go for the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 and then step up later to something newer.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at this point, it does not allow it. hoping black friday will drop prices of somethings enuf for me to be able to. id like to get the 216 core version.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
tri-sli is a waste of time, so dont get a tri-sli mobo. a 750i FTW would be more suitable for any gamer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts