Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every time I build a new PC I come here for final thoughts and opinions and I am never let down by this community. Looking again for thoughts on the new build.

I'm planning on doing a build with half new, half old parts and plan for upgrades later. Here is the final list I have for the build.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qkdg3b
What is your opinion on this build? I plan to upgrade the video card whenever Nvidia releases their next 11 series Ti card.

I chose the ram speed at random. The speed is 3200, should I go more or less? I don't know much about ram. I also wanted to go with 4 ram sticks just for the sake of aesthetic purposes. My friend was telling me 32GB is overkill that I'll never use that much for what I do. Can 16GB extra be beneficial? or harmful in any way if not being used? Should I just stick with 16GB?

Mobo thoughts? I wanted a mobo with more RGB but I only have 5 options for micro ATX mobos https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=0&N=100007627 600009017 601302884&isNodeId=1

Power Supply - PC Partpicker estimates my new build will use 454W while I am using an 850W PSU. Is this bad? Should I downgrade the PSU to something else?

Do you have any suggestions for any upgrades? This comes to $1100 and I can bend a few hundred.

Thanks all.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a review of the current mobo I chose and apparently it doesn't have an RGB header, does that mean I couldn't use the RGB fans? That means there are only 2 mobos on that list of 5 that have RGB headers, the MSI gaming pro and the MSI mortar.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off you might want to consider an air cooler instead of CLC cooler
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...y-you-should-probably-not-buy-clc-cooler.html

Second you dont need to buy cooling paste you get some for free with any cooler you buy
And last keep the PSU you dont need to buy a new one and all that happens with that much wattage is slightly lower efficiency at lower loads
Awwwww why you have to do that? Now I am going to second guess this whole build over a CPU cooler over a worry :(

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
Awwwww why you have to do that? Now I am going to second guess this whole build over a CPU cooler over a worry :(
There are drawsbacks to both CLC and air its just that there are more with CLC then with air
Take a look at the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate if you dont like the looks of the Noctua ND-D15

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are drawsbacks to both CLC and air its just that there are more with CLC then with air
Take a look at the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate if you dont like the looks of the Noctua ND-D15
Ehhhh, I am really trying to make this build aesthetically pleasing to "my" eye as possible. Big bulky heatsinks were the #1 thing I was looking to eliminate. I read that thread you posted about why CLC are bad and think I may be ok with the risk.
"If you must buy a CLC, make sure that you buy from a company that has been known to honor the costs of the rest of the PC. Amongst the companies I've seen making CLCs, Corsair seems to be one of the few that does, so if you are not convinced by this thread, you may want to consider a Corsair part." From that thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts