Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in /r/buildapc, but I also wanted to hear your great suggestions here!

I'm doing a new build from scratch (no monitor/keyboard etc.) that is primarily for gaming, but I'm also interested in producing static renders of Models/Environments (also some in real-time with UE4). If possible I want to buy VR hardware in the future but I'm not sure if that adds additional requirements. I want to try adding a custom liquid cooling loop for the cpu/maybe gpu as well. I'm thinking about starting with a single GTX 980 Ti and then adding another in the near future

Lastly, this build will most likely be sitting in the middle of my living room, so I'd like to go for something that is a little more sleek while showcasing the liquid cooling and staying consistent with it's color scheme. (I was thinking maybe white/black + red accents or white/black + blue accents)

Target Performance
Max settings 1440p @ 60FPS, maybe ultra-wide
Also I've been hearing a lot about the fluidity of 144hz but I don't have the budget to get high performance requirement games to run even close to that frame-rate, are there any benefits when running a game below that frame-rate?

Budget
$2000-$3000 (ideally around the middle, but I'm willing to put in more if something gives a jump in overall value)

Updated Draft Build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($226.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($684.19 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2776.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-15 12:53 EST-0500

Questions/Comments:
* I'd like to add another GTX 980 Ti in the near future so the power supply needs to be good enough
* I'm still not sure about the case/overall aesthetic, any suggestions here would be great. I might change some parts depending on the color scheme.
* How useful is G-Sync?
* 6700K vs 5820K? Difference in upgrade path?
* 144hz Monitor?
* PCI-E/M2 SSD?
* Any suggestions for a custom liquid cooling loop? What parts/from where?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,826 Posts
The EVGA SuperNova G2/P2 and the Corsair RMx are all newer better and cheaper then the Corsair AX you found
The G2/P2 and the RMx dont have all the coil whine problems the AX series have and the AX is a massive ripoff as well.

Next the monitor you picked is a TN panel monitor which means the colors are not all that good and the viewing angles are not all that great either.
You should be far better off with a IPS based monitor instead such as the Asus PB278Q or the newer MG279Q or PG279Q.

For the video card check out this thread
Nvidia GTX 980 Ti comparison thread

The case you picked does not have any optical drive slots if you are not already aware.
The Phanteks Enthoo Pro or Luxe might be a better option for you.

Last for the cooler check out the Swiftech H220x and H240x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions!
I swapped the PS for the Super Nova P2, thank you for the insight.

I'm not sure how much I'll notice the IPS color improvement, however I went ahead and swapped it with a well reviewed G-SYNC Acer IPS monitor.

I haven't used an optical drive in a long time, but I may switch the case for aesthetic reasons.

You linked the GTX 980 Ti comparison thread, I believe the classified is supposed to be better than the EVGA card listed there. For the Asus STRIX is there any difference between getting the OC version vs OCing the regular STRIX myself?

I also added H240x, if I plan on changing the tubing and solution, would it be better to buy the individual parts or is it still better to start with the AIO?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,826 Posts
You are aware that 80 plus has nothing to do with quality rated output or stability right?
Why 80 PLUS® is Irrelevant to You When Buying a PSU

Unless you either have your system loaded 100% 24/7 or if you live in place where power cost alot platinum is a waste of money because you spend more then you will ever save.
Get a G2 instead its the same PSU as the P2, unless the P2 is somehow the same price or cheaper then a G2 so dont bother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the power supply suggestion, I went with
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

You are aware that 80 plus has nothing to do with quality rated output or stability right?
Why 80 PLUS® is Irrelevant to You When Buying a PSU

Unless you either have your system loaded 100% 24/7 or if you live in place where power cost alot platinum is a waste of money because you spend more then you will ever save.
Get a G2 instead its the same PSU as the P2, unless the P2 is somehow the same price or cheaper then a G2 so dont bother.
Thanks for the article, updated to the G2. Saved ~$50

·
Senior OCN Member
40,826 Posts
A thing you should be aware of with the video card you picked and that it its super heavy, so its going to start to bend the PCI-E ports over time because of the cooler is so heavy and the card will begin to hang and face downwards.
Also note that if you want to play all games at max settings at 1440P and with 60+ FPS you are going to need a second video card.

2x GTX 970 cards would cost about the same as the single GTX 980 Ti and would be more powerful at 1440P then the GTX 980 Ti would.
As long as the game works with SLI that is and not every game does so its a trade off.

I would go with dual GTX 970 or GTX 980 cards instead not only are they more powerful in 1440P they also weigh less.
So they would put less stress on your PCI-E ports which means your video cards would not hang downwards as much if any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

A thing you should be aware of with the video card you picked and that it its super heavy, so its going to start to bend the PCI-E ports over time because of the cooler is so heavy and the card will begin to hang and face downwards.
Also note that if you want to play all games at max settings at 1440P and with 60+ FPS you are going to need a second video card.

2x GTX 970 cards would cost about the same as the single GTX 980 Ti and would be more powerful at 1440P then the GTX 980 Ti would.
As long as the game works with SLI that is and not every game does so its a trade off.

I would go with dual GTX 970 or GTX 980 cards instead not only are they more powerful in 1440P they also weigh less.
So they would put less stress on your PCI-E ports which means your video cards would not hang downwards as much if any.
Are there any 980 Ti that weight less? I might add a liquid cooling loop to the GPUs, would this reduce take care of the weight issue?

I was also thinking of getting a second 980 Ti in the near future and run them in SLI, but maybe I'll do that with 2 980s instead...

·
Senior OCN Member
40,826 Posts
The stock cards are lighter and they are also much easier to find water blocks for.
And yes if you remove the cooler you remove most of the wight.

Or you can make some kind of DIY solution to hold the cards up, i have seen some that have installed a woden plate on the back of the HDD cage to hold the card(s) up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts