Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:

Every night, I turn my monitor off, then go to bed. Every morning, I turn the monitor on and I either get a frozen screensaver, or the monitor power button just blinks.

This has never happened when I'm using it, so I think it has something to do with using a screensaver for an extended period of time. It's the default Windows one... Nothing is overclocked yet but my GPU, so it can't be that.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
seems your system is unstable, I know exactly those symptoms...Usually happens to my system if the voltage isn't high enough and I let Prime run for hours on end.
I would test with Prime, to see if you get any errors, and also test your memory with Memtest 86+.
I feel you are probably unstable/getting errors with your cpu/memory.
Could remotely be a PSU problem, but probably not.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
try turning the screensaver off, is the cpu under full load from folding, have you ran all ya spyware\\virus progs?

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Had the same trouble with a friends rig. Ran memtest 3.2 bootable from and cd and sure enough, the ram was crap. After changing the ram, it was fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: amped

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Didn't windows xp have a bug that wouldn't allow it to "wakeup" if it did have a screensaver?
Make sure your windows is updated also..

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since I just built it two days ago, it's possible that it was a windows bug. I'm still installing updates.

I just installed Service Pack 2, so we'll see if that helps.

I don't see why it would be unstable. Like I said, it's not overclocked.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuchan

try turning the screensaver off, is the cpu under full load from folding, have you ran all ya spyware\\virus progs?

have you done that?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

Well since I just built it two days ago, it's possible that it was a windows bug. I'm still installing updates.

I just installed Service Pack 2, so we'll see if that helps.

I don't see why it would be unstable. Like I said, it's not overclocked.

Change your power saving mode in your BIOS to not utilize "Wake from S3 Resume". A lot of video card and video card drivers do not wake from idle and that's exactly the symptoms that you'd see. Set your power saving mode to S1 and see if that fixes it. I don't think it's your screen saver, it's your video card powering down and not waking up.

• Rep+
Reactions: amped

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Change your power saving mode in your BIOS to not utilize "Wake from S3 Resume". A lot of video card and video card drivers do not wake from idle and that's exactly the symptoms that you'd see. Set your power saving mode to S1 and see if that fixes it. I don't think it's your screen saver, it's your video card powering down and not waking up.

Changed it from "S1 & S3" to the "S1" setting. Thanks, I'll get back to you tomorrow morning to let you all know if it worked.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it did it again. This time it was a frozen screensaver. Yeah, I know I could just turn the screensaver off and it would probably be fixed, but I'd rather solve the problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update: It freezes even without the screensaver. Whenever I don't use it for a while. So I guess it's something else...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
so you have all of your 4 power connectors plugged into the mobo......it might be a power supply problem...these DFI boards are really picky about memory and powersupplies...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

so you have all of your 4 power connectors plugged into the mobo......it might be a power supply problem...these DFI boards are really picky about memory and powersupplies...

No, then it would more likely turn off when I was putting strain on the computer. It goes off when idle and only when idle. I'm pretty positive it's some setting I can change.

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
Quote:

Will do, thanks. Is there a reason this doesn't work properly?

i dunno one of the comps here at work did the same thing so i set the thing to never turn the hard disks off and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The hard drive sleep mode was disabled by default, and it's still happening.

Any other suggestions?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

The hard drive sleep mode was disabled by default, and it's still happening.

Any other suggestions?

do a repair of windows maybe, it doesnt take long and might sort it out, you could have something corrupt and is giving the rig grief.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts