Overclock.net banner

New Build Layout - Dual or Single Loop?

1120 21
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why so much radiator? would two xr7 not cool the CPU and 2 for the gpu? i have 2x 360mm radiators, EK 360x60, and EK 360x45 cooling my 12700k and a 3080 in a single loop and they do a brill job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depending on how you use it, a single loop may be wiser.Dual loops are good for using three graphics cards, but these days, most of them are single graphics, so I don't think it puts much pressure on the cpu temperature even if it is managed with a single loop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is the order of your loop?

Tbh loop order does not really matter, but it is pump/res-CPU-top rad-GPU-bottom rad-pump/res

Just had a rejig of my loop yesterday, moved the front rad to the side. so have 4x 120mm in on the front, 3x noctua NF-P12 redux 1700 on the side rad in, 1x 140mm on the back out, and the 3 noctua AF25x25 on the top out.
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Wood Gas Automotive exterior

• Rep+
Reactions: jtclfo

·
Registered
69 Posts
jtclfo, very nice.
If you are crazy like me you just use a MO-RA3 420 PRO😎👍

• Rep+

·
Registered
106 Posts
tidied mine up at the front. Got the pipes under the tunnel now and fitted the plate on the front, looks miles better. In the autumn weather, my temps are so damn good, both CPU and GPU are under 30c idle(withouth the heating on) and gaming, both are under 45c.Pic is before i refilled it.
Machine Metal Computer hardware Font Corded phone
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive design Performing arts Automotive exterior
Magenta Gas Technology Audio equipment Automotive lighting

• Rep+

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have four 360mm x 54mm radiators and one 240mm x 30mm.

I kind of was going for a self contained version of that with this build. I run fans at 900 RPM and can't hear them. The PSU fan is the loudest fan but oh well. As it stands right now my water temps will not hit anything greater than 2-3° above ambient temperatures, most of the time staying at ambient unless I'm really pushing it. I have a small office so there's not a lot of room for the heat to go so I am pleased that this is the case. My previous build was bout 10-12° over ambient in the same environment.

This was from the other day after about 4 hours straight of MW2. This Nexus doesn't have a plugin for water temps but it was the exact same as ambient. My AC Next Flow is measuring just before it goes into the last pass radiator.

Loop order right now is Reservoir -> GPU -> 240 (ex) -> CPU -> top 360x2 (ex) -> bottom 360 (in) -> side 360 (in) -> Reservoir.

View attachment 2584776

Mine is usually about 4c above ambient when idle, and gpu/cpu are about 40c gaming, pretty pleased with it.
Font Rectangle Display device Symmetry Glass

• Rep+

·
Registered
615 Posts
Apologies I never had notifications about this so I missed the posts. EK was supposed to send the two 240's but they never followed up so I just grabbed one from MicroCenter to get the build completed. It's single loop but I am pleased with the temps overall. I just wanted dual loop just because I kind of like the look of it. My CPU is de-lidded but I just finished up four hours of MW2 and was able to keep the GPU at 41° max and my CPU maxed of 57°. Ambient temps tonight matched water temps with a peak for both of 29.2°. Amazed by the system so far.
temps are okay but that gpu does rise cpu temps a bit. if cpu was in loop of its own, you would be in under 50c to low 40's, depending what cpu you have, im not in the loop with latest and gratest for a while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
temps are okay but that gpu does rise cpu temps a bit. if cpu was in loop of its own, you would be in under 50c to low 40's, depending what cpu you have, im not in the loop with latest and gratest for a while.
Supposedly the 12700k runs hot, but mine seems fine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've ran it both ways in the past and found that dedicated component loops don't really prove out much benefit. While setting up the system with Windows and OC settings I didn't have the GPU loop in it at all and there wasn't a load temp difference honestly. This is a unique system with greater capacity than past builds though where I saw on average about a 5° core drop and a 1° water temp drop going to dedicated loops with one radiator per component. I have spent a lot of money over the last decade fighting for the idea dual loops benefit the system temps but I just have yet to really see it prove a worthy reason to do it. Even with alcohol mist and DICE submersion homebrew benching for the most overclocks had greater effect towards having the coolant pooled together. One experiment that yielded an interesting effect though was putting a Y fitting after the component and splitting it into two radiators at once and then reconverging at the outlets. It yielded lower coolant temperatures overall. My theory on this was that the flow rate could remain high across the component while having much longer dwell time in the radiator due to having to be halved in flow rate.
This is true for Y fittings for rads, i had same theory behind it, and planned to do it that way for my two 480mm rads in pedistal, but in the end decided not to bother with it this time. In a year when i do maintenace, i will do it. About 1 vs 2 loops, if you have very large rad area, you can get away with it. In my case i saw 15c drop in temps, on cpu when i split my loop in two. It dosent matter, but i want lowest possible temps i can have on cpu

1 - 20 of 22 Posts