Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I got the following specs:

• Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3070 Master Graphics Card
  • Gigabyte AORUS Z590i Ultra motherboard
  • Intel Core i9 11900KF
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200Hz
  • Crucial 2TB M.2 SSD
  • CoolerMaster ML240R AIO Liquid Cooler - Radiator is side-mounted and fans are pulling air out.
  • CoolerMaster NR200P Case
  • CoolerMaster SFX V 850W Power Supply
  • CoolerMaster SF240R Top fans - Fans are pulling air out.

BIOS and vBIOS are up to date.
PC is NOT overclocked and this time I don't intend to due to the limited cooling option for this small case.

I won this PC in a competition. I didn't choose the specs.

I'm not familiar with the current BIOS terminology for CPU and voltages. It's been years since I OC'd my PCs, so I'm out of touch. I'm also less familiar with Gigabyte BIOS.

Room ambient is 22c.

I'm not sure if the temps I'm seeing are normal or can be improved by undervolting. These are the following temps in idle:

If anyone can please help out or even have a one-on-one chat to help me out with my BIOS setting to optimise for performance and cooling as best as possibly can with my rig, I'd buy you a beer, or two :)

Thank you!

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,483 Posts
I'm looking to improve my temps. I don't think I'll gain much by OC of RAM. Besides, I don't know how to OC RAM
Load your XMP profile..its a pretty straightforward menu with XMP on it..your temps are abit off given you use a 240mm AIO..you can try checking if there is a good contact between the coldplate of the cooler and the IHS die..if all else is good then you might want to change your thermal paste..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Load your XMP profile..its a pretty straightforward menu with XMP on it..your temps are abit off given you use a 240mm AIO..you can try checking if there is a good contact between the coldplate of the cooler and the IHS die..if all else is good then you might want to change your thermal paste..
Ok, XMP I already did. thanks.

As for CPU temps: Using Prime95, I hit 100c very quickly. I was told that the Core i9 11900K does get hot, but I didn't expect to hit these temps.

I believe there's a good contact because I cannot screw the pump bracket any further.

Does intel continue to use cheap thermal paste between the chip and the IHS? I'm thinking that if it's a cheap thermal paste, then I'll delid it and use my LiquiUltra Pro thermal paste between the die and IHS.

As for the thermal paste I use between the cold plate and IHS, it's Gelid GC-3.

EDIT: Is it possible to under-volt the CPU a bit?

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,483 Posts
Does intel continue to use cheap thermal paste between the chip and the IHS? I'm thinking that if it's a cheap thermal paste, then I'll delid it and use my LiquiUltra Pro thermal paste between the die and IHS.
They already went back to soldered ones..

As for the thermal paste I use between the cold plate and IHS, it's Gelid GC-3.
is it a new application?? maybe needs curing for good results to appear..may take a while but mostly 24hrs bake should do..

your ambient is kinda low and given its an ITX build a delta of 4-6 degrees should be the least I was expecting...also its an AIO..the 11900K sure is hot but I think your AIO should handle it well..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They already went back to soldered ones..

is it a new application?? maybe needs curing for good results to appear..may take a while but mostly 24hrs bake should do..

your ambient is kinda low and given its an ITX build a delta of 4-6 degrees should be the least I was expecting...also its an AIO..the 11900K sure is hot but I think your AIO should handle it well..
It's a new application from last week that I applied.
ambient might be low, but having only outtake fans because it's ITX build, means I don't pull in cold air. Kind makes sense for this build.

I still think something is wrong here. Intel does mention that for this CPU the minimal recommended is 240 water cooling.
I'm just thinking how else can I improve water cooling in such a small case.
Mind you, I won this PC in a competition. I love this case, but would like to keep it while investing in better water cooling.
The problem is that I cannot fit rad+fans on the top, that is if I try a 2nd rad.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As for CPU temps: Using Prime95, I hit 100c very quickly. I was told that the Core i9 11900K does get hot, but I didn't expect to hit these temps.
Disable AVX

·
Registered
671 Posts
Isn’t AVX required for the CPU boosts under certain conditions?
AVX is an instruction set that's used by quite a few applications and games these days, but not to the extreme that P95 uses it. You can overheat most modern Intel chips even at reasonable voltages and with good cooling if you run P95 with AVX, because it draws such a ridiculous amount of power. A better test for real world AVX stability is OCCT large data set AVX2 extreme. For thermal testing, P95 small FFT non-AVX is fine, but you can also do the same thing with OCCT small data set SSE.

Not sure what you mean by AVX being required for CPU boost. You can apply an AVX offset in bios that will downclock the CPU when an AVX workload is started, but it's better to leave it at 0 afaic. That way your chip runs the same speed in any workload or game.

Granted I don't know specifics about 11th gen chips.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gil80

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AVX is an instruction set that's used by quite a few applications and games these days, but not to the extreme that P95 uses it. You can overheat most modern Intel chips even at reasonable voltages and with good cooling if you run P95 with AVX, because it draws such a ridiculous amount of power. A better test for real world AVX stability is OCCT large data set AVX2 extreme. For thermal testing, P95 small FFT non-AVX is fine, but you can also do the same thing with OCCT small data set SSE.

Not sure what you mean by AVX being required for CPU boost. You can apply an AVX offset in bios that will downclock the CPU when an AVX workload is started, but it's better to leave it at 0 afaic. That way your chip runs the same speed in any workload or game.

Granted I don't know specifics about 11th gen chips.
Thank you for explaining.
What prompted me to investigate this is yesterday I ran Battlefield 1 and alt+tab to check temps with GPUZ and saw CPU reaching max 86 but averaging at 81.
I assume the cores ran hotter.

I believe these are not safe temps even in gaming. So I’m worried.
I want to try and under volt the CPU without underclocking.

do you think it can be done?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thank you for explaining.
What prompted me to investigate this is yesterday I ran Battlefield 1 and alt+tab to check temps with GPUZ and saw CPU reaching max 86 but averaging at 81.
I assume the cores ran hotter.

I believe these are not safe temps even in gaming. So I’m worried.
I want to try and under volt the CPU without underclocking.

do you think it can be done?
Yeah, that seems hot for a game. You can definitely undervolt, I just don't know the best way to go about it with gigabyte Z590 boards. I know the Z490 boards have something called "override" for Vcore, that has better regulation than the standard Vcore control. Don't remember specifics since it doesn't apply to my Z390. Buildzoid has a video about it -

One thing I'd recommend is using HWiNFO for monitoring. I assume the Z590 still has the die sense voltage reading (VR VOUT), which should be the most accurate voltage reading.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gil80

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that seems hot for a game. You can definitely undervolt, I just don't know the best way to go about it with gigabyte Z590 boards. I know the Z490 boards have something called "override" for Vcore, that has better regulation than the standard Vcore control. Don't remember specifics since it doesn't apply to my Z390. Buildzoid has a video about it -

One thing I'd recommend is using HWiNFO for monitoring. I assume the Z590 still has the die sense voltage reading (VR VOUT), which should be the most accurate voltage reading.
Thanks heaps for the help!
I’ll check it out and hopefully I can take this CPU temps. I’ll also try to explore options for outside mounted pump+res combo and super slim fans and rad fro top mount.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,470 Posts
If you have the NR200’P’, does this mean you have the radiator mounted against the glass panel?

Can you share a few photos of your system? Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you have the NR200’P’, does this mean you have the radiator mounted against the glass panel?

Can you share a few photos of your system? Thanks.
oh hell no! :)
I use the grill panel, not the glass.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

EDIT: Is it possible to under-volt the CPU a bit?
You can choke the power consumption and clock speeds with Turbo Power Limits:
Package Power Limit 1 to 200W
Package Power Limit 2 to 200W

Or you can adjust Active turbo ratios:
5 and 6 core active boost to 48x
7 and 8 core active boost to 45x

Undervolting can be achieved with the Adaptive VCore setting, though Intel has binned these chips quite hard and you're unlikely to be able to run a big offset on V/F Point 4, 5 and 6

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can choke the power consumption and clock speeds with Turbo Power Limits:
Package Power Limit 1 to 200W
Package Power Limit 2 to 200W

Or you can adjust Active turbo ratios:
5 and 6 core active boost to 48x
7 and 8 core active boost to 45x

Undervolting can be achieved with the Adaptive VCore setting, though Intel has binned these chips quite hard and you're unlikely to be able to run a big offset on V/F Point 4, 5 and 6
Hi Arni.
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how to do all that.
I remember using my Asus MB from 2012, I was able to overclock and use offset voltage.
I'm trying to do the same now but I'm not successful.
I don't know why an offset of -0.001v will fail prime95.
I don't know how to limit package power or active turbo ratios.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't know how to limit package power or active turbo ratios.
Look through the BIOS options under the tweaker menu

1 - 20 of 27 Posts