Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting on my parts to come in, but I'm second guessing my memory choice. Can anyone confirm if I should look at something else before I start the build? It is not on the recommended list, I could always try it and send it back if I have issues, but I'd prefer to get the right thing coming if it's not a good choice. I ordered the memory based on Amazon's details as opposed to checking MSI's site. I wasn't even aware that it would run 3400mhz, I don't see any 3400mhz listed under MSI's compatible modules.

Ryzen 2600X
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H105 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Thick Radiator, Dual 120mm PWM Fans

Per MSI's site:

4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 64GB
Supports 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC)1
Supports 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)1
Dual channel memory architecture
Supports non-ECC UDIMM memory
Supports ECC UDIMM memory (non-ECC mode)

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The memory doesn't need to be on the supported list. That just means it has been tested by MSI in that board. They can't try every brand and model memory out there for every board release.

I have the exact memory you ordered, except it's the 4x8GB set. It wasn't officially supported in my motherboard either, but its been running fine for two years now.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The memory doesn't need to be on the supported list. That just means it has been tested by MSI in that board. They can't try every brand and model memory out there for every board release.

I have the exact memory you ordered, except it's the 4x8GB set. It wasn't officially supported in my motherboard either, but its been running fine for two years now.
Sounds good, I thought for "support" reasons it would be best to get the memory from the supported list.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
3000 C15 sounds like it is not the good Samsung B-die. DDR4 ram needs to be "tuned" for the system it is put into so just because it runs well in an intel system that it is tuned for does not automatically mean that it will run well in an AMD system that it is not tuned for.

So it will probably run but might not run at its rated 3000 speed. I am in this situation with 3200 C15 ram that I can't get to run faster than 3030 stable.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a suggestion on the specific memory? I may have to RMA the motherboard and can do the memory as well if needed. So far though, it's running at 3000mhz stable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts