Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new rig for christmas (in my sig) and I'm having trouble getting it to run correctly.

First, I put everything in the computer (old HD and new HD). The old IDE drive was connected on the same cable as my DVD-RW drive. When I turned on the comptuer, everything loaded correctly until I got to windows. The windows loading screen appeared for a second and the the comptuer restarted. I got my windows CD and booted from the CD. I reinstalled windows on the drive (didn't format to keep my data) and when I turned it back on, windows loaded and I logged in. I installed the mobo drivers, restarted, and the comptuer still worked. I then uninstalled my old Omega drivers and installed the new ATI drivers (this was the only time I could access the internet while I was working on my comptuer). When I restarted the comptuer, windows wouldn't load again. I reinstalled windows again and windows started but not well. I figured that I hadn't uninstalled all the old drivers. I was correct so I uninstalled all ATI software from my computer. Then I installed the ATI drivers from the CD, restarted and had the same problem.

I reinstalled windows again and the computer was running really slowly. It was consistantly taking 5 minutes or more to get from the "starting windows" screen to the login screen. I unplugged the old hard drive and did a fresh install of windows on the new drive. I partitioned it into 2 100GB partitions a 40GB partition and a 10GB partition. I installed windows on the 10GB one. Everything worked perfectly and I had the speed I expected. I installed the mobo drivers and restarted. I installed the wireless internet and restarted again. The internet wasn't working, but the comptuer was working in general. I uninstalled the internet stuff and rebooted. Then I hooked up the old HD as a slave drive (to transfer stuff from it to the new HD). I transfered my programs and installed the video card drivers (from the CD again). This time I restarted, the computer would restart at the windows screen like before.

Is this a problem with the old HD (which worked fine without the ATI drivers) or with the drivers on the video card? How can I fix it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
have u tried intalling ati drivers into new hdd if it works then it is your old hdd

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last thing I tried was with only the new HDD. It would go through the black loading screen (with the windows logo in the middle, before the login screen) then it would restart.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
I would definitly think it's related to corrupted drivers. Though, hardware might be related, but troubleshoot software before troubleshooting hardware.

• Rep+
Reactions: Waupli

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I'm thinking also. It all worked fine before I installed the ATI drivers. I'm going to try Omega drivers. If they don't work, what are some other good drivers for the X1950Pro?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts