Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I've been thinking about this upgrade for awhile now and I have decided to get ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket T, I am still undecided on the cooler(more advice anyone) and I am going to go with a XION case because the wifey likes it. Here are my current system specs for anyone that issed my last post. HP Model# m7480n, Pentium D [email protected] 2gb of pc-4200, stupid ASUS P5LP-LE(HP special crap) BFG 650watt PSU, BFG Geforce 7900gt oc. Here's where my question comes in. I can afford to upgrade my ram right now is it gonna cause a problem because it might be too slow? And I would just like some confirmation of cpu/ram compatibility with the new mobo! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It should be compatible, the main problem you will have is when you go to hook up the power, led, reset, and possibly usb and audio to that new motherboard. All of the big manufactures use a propiatary hookup for those. Usually instead of 3 or 4 -2 and 3 wire connectors the prebuilt has 1 long 1 and the sequence sometimes does not align with an consumer motherboard. I am sure there is a mod just don't be suprised.<br />
<br />
BTW is that pc or pc2 ram? pc (or ddr) will not work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>sleepy127</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">It should be compatible, the main problem you will have is when you go to hook up the power, led, reset, and possibly usb and audio to that new motherboard. All of the big manufactures use a propiatary hookup for those. Usually instead of 3 or 4 -2 and 3 wire connectors the prebuilt has 1 long 1 and the sequence sometimes does not align with an consumer motherboard. I am sure there is a mod just don't be suprised.<br><br>
BTW is that pc or pc2 ram? pc (or ddr) will not work.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
It is pc2/ddr2 and I have already bought a new case so front panel connectors should not be a problem right? Also I have been messing with clockgen and I cant get my cpu past 3.2GHz is this normal or am I wasting my time tryin to overclock?

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
If you're going with el cheapo way, get a minimum of DDR2 533. For cooler? I suggest the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>racinmason001</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">It is pc2/ddr2 and I have already bought a new case so front panel connectors should not be a problem right? Also I have been messing with clockgen and I cant get my cpu past 3.2GHz is this normal or am I wasting my time tryin to overclock?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>With a better motherboard and good cooling you should be able to get a little more out of that chip. Cheap ram is hit or miss and you never know until you try. Keep the ram and see what it will do, if it holds you back and you are not happy with the oc you get then spring for some new ram. Overclocking is about getting the most out of what we have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts