Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys i built a new PC the only thing that isn't new is my 1070 which is in great condition and working well

Ever since i built this PC i have had trouble with random restarts, just complete power off's without warning, usually at idle not gaming or under load, i haven't been able to recreate it, PC will pass cinebench for hours and heaven for hours and it wont restart, just happens randomly

I thought it was my old house wiring as it has been having issues, bought a new UPS, same issue, Bought a new PSU same issue, Fresh install windows same issue

I have never seen it restart on stock clocks, but i bought this system to overclock and probably have never had it on stock clocks for a week+

SPECS
i9 10900k
MSI MAG z490 TOMHAWK
DOMINATOR PRO RGB 3200
NOCTUA NH-D15
CORSAIR RMX 750W
GIGABYTE XTREME GAMING GTX 1070
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB

It seems to happen more often if i have my CPU overclocked higher, even though the CPU overclock is 100% stable, when i was running 5.2ghz it used to happen every 2 days constantly, when i went back to 5ghz @ 1.250ish volts, it happened like once a week. Until a few days ago when it happened like 3 times within the hour which made me go buy new PSU and some grizzly paste and rebuilt the whole PC and to my suprise it actually happened later that day.

I guess my question is, why? the CPU will pass cinebench / prime for hours and then go up to a week gaming etc before i see it restart. i have no idea why this is happening and my ram passed memtest all night (12 passes) at the 3200 speed its on, these issues seem to usually be related to ram and PSU and now they have both been ruled out and i have NEVER seen it restart at stock clocks, i have to assume its something to do with the overclock

Please help thankyou!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe your CPU voltage is too low? Have you had a look at other folks bios settings for a similar overclock as your CPU?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes i have researched other peoples results a lot, is that possible? if its rock solid in benchmarks and games and daily use, and 0 whea errors surely that means its enough voltage, i have trouble understanding why adding more would solve this issue, i have overclocked for many years and never seen this, always just bsods or trouble booting or whea errors etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would they even class it as defective if it holds stock clocks? i bought this CPU to overclock =(

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
usually at idle
This is a common problem in laptops when the voltage is set too low.

What C states are enabled? Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan to run your CPU at a constant 5.0 GHz regardless of load? Is it an all core overclock so the CPU always uses the 50 multiplier regardless of how many cores are active?

What are your SA and IO voltages set to?

For low power consumption, I prefer to enable the C states and run a consistent multiplier. No light load or idle stability issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it was overclocked i had intel c-state disabled

Yes im running "ultimate performance mode" but its just the same thing, i think its a feature of windows enterprise, it did stay at a constant voltage and 5ghz all the time

SA and IO voltages now? on default? or would you like me to o/c it? do they change automatically

Right now they are both 1.204

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have come accross numerous posts and videos on YouTube that actually advise against using the Ultimate Performance power plan in Windows. The better option is to use the High Performance power plan. If I'm not mistaken the Ultimate Performance power plan is more aimed at high end server applications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Anyone?

I have confirmed its the O/C i tried running 5.1 @ 1.330 volts passed cinebench r20 and r23 5 times each no whea errors no nothing, restarts an hour later watching netflix, i really need help

Currently trying intel XTU as it seems to behave differently at same load voltage and frequency, leading me to think it might be a motherboard setting? i reset to default, put XMP on and now running 5.1 at around 1.3 load voltage, 0.3v lower then when using the MOBO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts