Overclock.net banner

New build that will not Post

673 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  420Assassin
The hardware is all installed. I just ran my first test and it failed to Post.
The keyboard did not activate, and the monitor stayed black.
I checked the USB port with my headset and found that the port was active. My graphics card has two white lights that display as active. My motherboard displays a constant red light. My case fans work.

The QLED shows the 3rd light, boot light, lighting for a split second. Then no lights.

I called Asus, and the technician suggested that I short the CLRTC pins. I'm reluctant to do that until I get a second opinion. I'm open to suggestions.
Bob

Windows 11 will be installed once it is running.
My Spec's
AMD:
Ryzen 9 5900X, Asus: ProArt X570 Creator Wi-Fi, Power Supply: Corsair HX850i
Cooler Master: Hyper 212 Black Edition
Corsair: CMW128GX4M4D3000C16(Ver 33) 4x 32GB
Asus: Strix-GTX980-DC20C-4GD5, Samsung: SSD 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD Boot Drive
Case: Cooler Master - Storm Trooper Model - SGC-5000-KKN1 Purchased - 089/30/2012
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Senior OCN Member
46,409 Posts
The motherboard could be dead or or it could be shorting

If you remove it from the case and put it on the motherboard box and then short the pins you can jump start it that way i have done it tons of times and never had a board take damage from it

if the board still wont boot even out of the case then its a DOA board

Also if this is a brand new build you should consider maybe returning that Corsair HXi it cost more and is worse than almost any other Corsair series so you got ripped off big time and got an inferior unit on top

Also that CPU cooler is nowhere near good enough and you are going to run into problems of the CPU thermal throttling so that will should be returned for sure

· Registered
1,746 Posts
Could be few things. Like above mentioned placing it all on a cardboard box to test boot is helpful.

Like asus suggested clearing cmos by jumping those pins they said is the very first thing i would try.

Then I would check CPU power cord, 24PIN power one aswell make sure its fully plugged in.

Make sure mounting pressure on cpu cooler is even and not too tight.

Remove all extra connections usb headers if any are plugged in, hard drives and even go as far as trying with only one stick of ram plugged in at a time and seeing if it will boot and show post.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
Board on cardboard box (the box it came in works great), one stick of RAM, monitor+keyboard+mouse only, check cables are in firmly, no SSDs/HDDs connected (right now you just want to see if you can get to BIOS, not install Windows). Clear CMOS isn't scary, why the reluctance?

Honestly, if this was not a gamer board, I'd be saying "wait!" but that's because I've had fun recently with systems which take up to a minute before they finally decide to give you any sort of POST screen... then proceed to spend the next five minutes booting various extra controllers before finally... finally... loading the OS.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a gamer. I use it for Video editing mostly. I did send my MoBo & CPU back. I will be buying the same shortly. I'm now l; looking to replace the cooler as was suggested. I don't want it water-cooled. If you have any suggestions for the cooler, it would be helpful.

Also, it was suggested that the Corsair HX850i was not the right power supply for my system. What might be a good PW without breaking the bank?
Bob

I do have a

· Senior OCN Member
46,409 Posts
I'm not a gamer. I use it for Video editing mostly. I did send my MoBo & CPU back. I will be buying the same shortly. I'm now l; looking to replace the cooler as was suggested. I don't want it water-cooled. If you have any suggestions for the cooler, it would be helpful.

Also, it was suggested that the Corsair HX850i was not the right power supply for my system. What might be a good PW without breaking the bank?
Bob

I do have a
The Scythe Mugen 5 is around $50-60 and the Seasonic Focus or Corsair RMx is a better option than the HXi

· Registered
1,746 Posts

Bob

I do have a
CPU cooler for air cooled the Hyper 212 is a good cooler 90% of the time.. Some newer intel chips may need something lil more beefier tho like the Noctua NH-D15..

PSU Seasonic is a good choice. Some their higher tier ones come with a 12year warranty

· Registered
995 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade your BIOS. You can do this without the CPU & RAM installed if need be. Follow 420Assassin's outline.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
I could not find it.

I did a return on the board. Waiting for same to arrive. And I did buy the Noctua NH-D15. Still kicking around the PW.

A lot of good advice on this forum.
Thanks for the help.
Bob
How i would TS this is. Try to boot after every step.
  • Place on cardboard box try booting.
  • Double check 24pin power and cpu power connections and clear cmos.
  • Make sure CPU cooler is not too tight.. To much pressure can cause cpu to lose contact on some pins.
  • Remove hard drives, usb front headers, audio headers, font power switch(you can jump it with a screwdriver to boot if board doesnt have a boot and reset button on it.) HDD and Power LED light connections and all but 1stick of ram.
  • If still no boot remove final stick of ram and try another one you should be even able to boot with no ram but you would need a small speaker connected to board for beep codes if it doesnt have a display to show boot error code..
  • If still no boot (no power at all, no fan spin at all its possible bad psu or mobo good chance.. Very slim chance its cpu unless its ryzen 3600 seen alota those fail)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.