Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. As I'm going to college I need to upgrade my computer, well I don't think we can call it an upgrade since im going to use only the graphics card and psu from my current computer. So, I have an r9 290x reference card and a seasonic m12 850w psu, all other components are not worth mentioning. Now I need a new processor, ram, ssd, motherboard (micro atx I guess) and a case. I'm looking to buy as many used parts as possible (I don't mind if they are a year or two old) and I need your recommendations, since I am a little bit out of touch with the recent technology. The computer would mainly be used for some light gaming, browsing the internet and some photoshop. I am also looking to get the smallest case possible, which would fit the aforementioned components: psu, graphics card and a Thermalright true Spirit 120M (but I am willing to ditch it for a smaller cooler if neccessary). Also keep in mind that the gaming would happen on a 2560 x 1440 resolution.
Also I would like to spend as little as possible.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llovro View Post

what about some used processors? which ones are worth looking out for?
If you wait till intel's Coffeelake comes out, some of these new ones will come down in price. With a single 290X, i used i7 Sandy Bridge like the 2600K or 2700K will work perfect. On the AMD side, the new ones are really cheap like the R5 1500. I'd stay away from quad cores and lock cpus.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

If you wait till intel's Coffeelake comes out, some of these new ones will come down in price. With a single 290X, i used i7 Sandy Bridge like the 2600K or 2700K will work perfect. On the AMD side, the new ones are really cheap like the R5 1500. I'd stay away from quad cores and lock cpus.
why would you stay away from quad core cpus tho?

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Quote:

If you are not going to play multithreaded games like Battlefield, quad is fine. The 290X can actually max all its cores. You might find it lacking and upgrade sooner.

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
Quote:

If budget allows, there are better options. Quad core is the new dual core.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Gave any consideration to ITX? You could get a smaller case and I know with college you tend to move around a lot or if you do some laning or anything having something portable might be a great option. I remember I had a massive cooler master haf case and it was a pain lugging it around, especially over long vacations.

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
I forgot how small those dorm rooms can be. College was fun.
smile.gif
Does OP know their roommate?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Gave any consideration to ITX? You could get a smaller case and I know with college you tend to move around a lot or if you do some laning or anything having something portable might be a great option. I remember I had a massive cooler master haf case and it was a pain lugging it around, especially over long vacations.
yes I would love to have as small pc case as my psu and graphics card allow. Well, the graphics card shouldn't be a problem but my psu is 170 mm in length, 150 mm in width and 86 mm in height. Do you have any case recommendations?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

I forgot how small those dorm rooms can be. College was fun.
smile.gif
Does OP know their roommate?
Actually I have the privilege of living in an one room private apartment, as it is not much more expensive than a dorm and you get the luxury of privacy, not to mention that the apartment is very close to my college and the landlords are very kind.
smile.gif

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

If budget allows, there are better options. Quad core is the new dual core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

If you are not going to play multithreaded games like Battlefield, quad is fine. The 290X can actually max all its cores. You might find it lacking and upgrade sooner.
I guess I will buy a new ryzen 5 1600 then, which also comes with a decent cpu cooler, which woul probably fit in a smaller case, as my current one probably wouldn't. I also haven't found and decent used processors in my area, except for an intel i7 5820k, which I am not sure is worth buying.

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
Quote:

I guess I will buy a new ryzen 5 1600 then, which also comes with a decent cpu cooler, which woul probably fit in a smaller case, as my current one probably wouldn't. I also haven't found and decent used processors in my area, except for an intel i7 5820k, which I am not sure is worth buying.
You can search our very own marketplace and i've heard reddit has a decent place for sale/buying (i've never used it myself).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

You can search our very own marketplace and i've heard reddit has a decent place for sale/buying (i've never used it myself).
I'll check it out, but it's too bad that most of the parts that I need are relatively new to the market, so there are not many used options

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also can someone recommend me a best value for money motherboard with an am4 socket? I'm planning on doing a slight overclock and maybe some gpu overclock as well...

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
If you're not ocin' and just want a board that works without the extra M.2/SATA/ram slots, get a B350 board.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll get either an ASRock AB350M Pro4 or MSI B350M MORTAR, can't decide which one tho...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts