Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am running my sigrig at the moment for gaming.
I would like to upgrade but need a little advise.
Budget is £700
I could spend more and start a whole new build but would rather spend less and get a new monitor too.
Was thinking keep same components except RAM, Mobo and cpu.
Would switch to the 8th gen i7 cpu 16 GB ram and probably a 1060.
Would all this be compatible with my old components ?
Or should I start a new rig?

sigrig:
Fractal Design Define R4
Intel Core i5-3570k
Gigabyte Windforce 3X Radeon HD 7950 AMD 3GB
'Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1
XFX 650W XXX Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
Corsair Memory Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB DDR3 1600
Corsair H100i Hydro CPU Cooler

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
Your i5-3750K processor doesn't exist. You probably mean 4670K, because you have a Z87 motherboard.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Why not just buy 16GB of ddr3 and a new GPU.

The jump to an 8700K won't be as big as you think for gaming and the 9700K is rumored to be a much better cup. Ddr4 is also pretty expensive right now so is not a great time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your i5-3750K processor doesn't exist. You probably mean 4670K, because you have a Z87 motherboard.
Its i5-3570k, my bad

The jump to an 8700K won't be as big as you think for gaming and the 9700K is rumored to be a much better cup. Ddr4 is also pretty expensive right now so is not a great time for an upgrade.
This would be great however i have 2x4sticks in my mobo and no more slots.

Guess i could buy 2x8gb - would this be worth it?

Wouldn't the new GPU bottleneck my old CPU?
especially as when i run games my cpu is at 100% or close

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
What PSU do you have in that system? all you listed was wattage and not brand or model
Other then the GPU and CPU cooler you dont really need to upgrade anything maybe other then the PSU depending on what you have

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
Its i5-3570k, my bad
Your current parts are still not accurate. i5-3570k (which needs socket 1155) doesn't work in a Z87 board which has a socket 1150.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What PSU do you have in that system? all you listed was wattage and not brand or model
Other then the GPU and CPU cooler you dont really need to upgrade anything maybe other then the PSU depending on what you have
XFX 650W XXX Semi Modular 80+ Bronze - should be fine to keep this one another couple of years i think

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What do you guys think about the following list?
https://ibb.co/gatDOx
Edit :
Just realised I would need a new mobo for the CPU. Is it worth getting new mobo for new socket CPUs and extra ram slots then I will only need 8gb extra ram?

·
Registered
826 Posts
What do you guys think about the following list?
https://ibb.co/gatDOx
So, if you are looking to use the i7 in your cart, you are going to want to find an LGA 1151 socket motherboard for it to work (the 7700 will not work in a z77 motherboard); which will also require you to get ddr4 kits instead of the ddr3. If you are wanting to stick with your i5 right now, maybe take the funds from the i7 and put it towards an even better gpu? Another option might be to look at the Ryzen 5s/Ryzen 7s as well (cost/performance consideration).

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
For parts compatibility, check pcpartpicker.com and logicalincrements.com.

·
Avid Gamer
187 Posts

Isn't the 9700k just suppose to be a refresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I would just replace PSU if its over 5 years as Ive never had one last past that overclocking, double your ram; or max it out, and upgrade GPU. As I have a i5 3570K @ 4.4ghz with 16GB of Skill 2400mhz DDR3 ram, and AMD HD7950 3GB on a Gigabyte Z77X-UP4-TH mobo.

It works great for w.e I do but i dont game as much on newer games like I used too. Especially FPS as I know loathe them. Can still play Far Cry Primal on med with decent frames

·
Registered
104 Posts

What do you mean he is going from an I5 to an I7 8700K there will be alot of improvement there. Yes if he was coming from and older I7 then maybe not but I went from a 4770K to the 8700K and went from 80-90% usage to 45% max on BF4-BF1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts