Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just upgraded to the rig in my sig. Which OS is right? Vista 64 home, ultimate? Which version is best and why?

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
I would go with Vista Ultimate x64. Just because Ultimate is the top version of Vista, and there isn't much different between it and Home Premium, but all of your specs would run it, so there is no reason to not go with Ultimate.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/default.aspx

Your best bet is to go there, and pick the version that is ideal for you. All will run very well on your machine.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Yeah, you have 4 gigs of RAM, so go for 64 Bit Home Premium or Ultimate. I'm loving Vista Ultimate to death.

EDIT: TBH, most people find the little extras that Ultimate provides pretty useless, so I think you'd be just fine with the cheaper Home Premium. I only have Vista b/c of the sweet deal my mom got on it.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Vista Premium is the best value. Go 64 bit no matter which version. No reason to stay with 32 bit.
Ultimate has some decent extras, but most are available from other places, some even free.
Ultimate Retail does come with 32 and 64 bit disks, but you can order a 64 bit disk from MS if you get Premium retail.
Do not get Basic. It is just that, very basic. Works great for a GPU2 folding rig, but for a daily use rig, no.

IMO, do not get OEM. You get stuck having to keep whatever motherboard you install it on.
Retail gives you the ability to move the OS when you upgrade the MoBo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

I would go with Vista Ultimate x64. Just because Ultimate is the top version of Vista, and there isn't much different between it and Home Premium, but all of your specs would run it, so there is no reason to not go with Ultimate.

There is no need to get Ultimate just because it is the "top version". The cost is not justified if they never use any of the features it includes.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
I love home premium, i didnt really see a need for any of ultimate's features.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts